my low range light came on while driving. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my low range light came on while driving.

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
I was driving and i notice my low range light came on but just the l.e.d light not the one on the cluster that says low range. The l.ed light was dim. So I stoped and put it in neutral and the l.e.d light was brighter and the one on the cluster came on. So I got it to turn off and it drives fine. Also when it just popped on with the dim l.e.d light it was drivin normal too and it didnt feel like I was in low range either. Also my trans is acting up when I drive it through the city like coasting and shifting into second kinda acts funny. Im looking into getting my transmission fluid change. Im alittle worried my trans is starting to go out. Like i said with the dim l.e.d light it drives normal and when i press the low range button it felt like i was in low gear which felt normal low range. Anyone had this experience? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I had another question. Im thinking about just doing a flush on my A4LD. Iam unsure on the mileage on my transmission I had it replaced under warentee the used dealer had put in used. I was thinking if a flush is not worth it I can atlease replace the filter and fluid and also the vacum modulator. What do you guys think? It's been since may of 2007 when my trans got replaced and I never changed the fluid and filter. Thanks.

my philosophy is to change the fluid every 25k miles (trans builder told me 12k but that seems too often) and i usually don't change the filter.

i just remove the trans cooling line, put a hose over it and put the hose in a bucket. then i start it and let it run for a few seconds until all the fluid has pumped out. reconnect cooling line, and re-fill

speaking of cooling, if you want you're trans to last, add a heavy duty external cooler infront of the radiator, that'll make a world of difference in trans life. these a4ld's generate a lot of heat due to the highish stalling torque converter so they need good cooling. (with good cooling they last a long time)

the low range LED has nothing to do with the transmission. that is completely separate. if it's not going into low range there could be a problem with the transfer case shift motor (i had that problem recently) also remember you have to be sitting still, in neutral, in order to go into low range (and you have to be in 4x4 high range first as well)

Its fairly common on 1st Gen explorers to periodically have a dimly lit LEDs next to the 4x4 buttons. Mine tend to appear dimly lit a few times per month, more often when it gets cold out. Rest assured you vehicle is not in 4x4 unless both the dash and button lights come on.

I noticed this myself. I just got mine a few weeks ago. She runs great but the dim les on low range comes on sometimes. Same symptoms as previously stated. Except the trans is tip top. Its usually under 20°F here so maybe it is the cold. I still think I should do fluid change. Ill look into an extra trans cooler. Maybe there is a thread on the extra cooler.

Back