My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I managed 630 miles on a full tank, between Cornwall and Richmond, Surrey, I drive under 2000 revs all they way and instead of using the gas on hills to keep speed I took out the overdrive to build revs and then put it back in.........The EX drove like a dream and I had a 5 piece Pearl export drumkit, a fender 2by 12 amp and a Trace elliot 4 by 12 in the back, 3 guitars and 3 people onboard............ I ran my tyre pressures at 38 allround and I think thats a record.......What do you think?

BIG HVM said:
I managed 630 miles on a full tank, between Cornwall and Richmond, Surrey,

I drive under 2000 revs all they way and instead of using the gas on hills to keep speed I took out the overdrive to build revs and then put it back in.........The EX drove like a dream and I had a 5 piece Pearl export drumkit, a fender 2by 12 amp and a Trace elliot 4 by 12 in the back, 3 guitars and 3 people onboard............ I ran my tyre pressures at 38 allround and I think thats a record.......What do you think?

Assuming a 21 gal tank used to empty and 630 miles, thats 30 MPG.

Way to go.

spindlecone said:
Just curious
Anyone with a SOHC V6 get 26 MPG?, anyone get 30 MPG besides Aldive

My mothers '00 Mountaineer SOHC with the 3.55 rear end 2WD model has gone as high as 28 mpg on trips, but that's driving extreamly carefully, and less than 70mph. We can consistantly reach 24 mpg in it again driving it very carefully Highway driving. This is all going off of the message center info, which could be off by a little bit. mixed driving it gets 19mpg-21mpg in town.
The mountie is 100% stock with 78K miles on it.

In my 02 V8 tow package'd 3.73 gear 4x4 explorer, the highest I've seen on the trip computer is 22mpg, and I can't maintain it (maybe if I could drive at 55mph) mileage quickly decreases once you hit 60mph, average 20mpg at 60mph, and 16-18 between 75-80.
It's also stock, and I've been considering some light mods to give me a slight bump, like a K&N, free flowing exhaust. Already runs a synthetic blend oil.

I have previously proved that speeds over 65 MPH are very detrimental to gas mileage.

After reading the thread about the possible return to a 55 MPH speed limit, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159690, I have decided to do a mileage test at 55 MPH.

And NO, I am not a proponent of the 55 limit, this test id for information only.

I will be doing a road trip to Ft Meyers, total of 130 miles, all but about miles on I75. I shall set the cruise control at 55 MPH and see Way happens.

Results soon ........ if I don't get run over :)

aldive said:
I have previously proved that speeds over 65 MPH are very detrimental to gas mileage.

After reading the thread about the possible return to a 55 MPH speed limit, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159690, I have decided to do a mileage test at 55 MPH.

And NO, I am not a proponent of the 55 limit, this test id for information only.

I will be doing a road trip to Ft Meyers, total of 130 miles, all but about miles on I75. I shall set the cruise control at 55 MPH and see Way happens.

Results soon ........ if I don't get run over :)

I do believe you will get ran over.. Especially doing 55..
when you do 55 iit feels like you are sitting still.

take some ear plugs and valium you are going to need both. lol

God gave you a special gift aldive.

God gave you patience. 55mph on I-75 would have me commited to the closest loony bin. 85 on I-75 is more like it for me.

terdrocket said:
God gave you a special gift aldive.

God gave you patience. 55mph on I-75 would have me commited to the closest loony bin. 85 on I-75 is more like it for me.

Patience is a virture.

If you were on I-95 (east coast of Florida) going 55 could be dangerous. I-95 in FL is the fastest stretch of 4-lane I have ever seen in the states.

Rhett said:
If you were on I-95 (east coast of Florida) going 55 could be dangerous. I-95 in FL is the fastest stretch of 4-lane I have ever seen in the states.

When I switch from one highway to 1-95 I feel like a grandma driving. That's considering the one highway I do 70 ish on. :eek:

im in for results on the trip...if aldive returns....

With all of the stop, and go driving where I live, it is basically impossible to set a cruise control for 55 MPH. You could go 55 in some places, but not for long. Maybe a few minutes at the most. It's just too congested here.

For maximum mileage with the cruise control, set it at a speed a few MPH below what you want to drive. Gain speed above your target speed when going downhill, and allow the speed to drop to that lower set speed when going uphill. That's how truckers drive, it maintains energy going downhill, and minimizes loss going uphill.

That is why cruise control isn't as good as driver speed control, for fuel mileage. A "loose" cruise control might be able to do the same, but manufacturers won't do that. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
For maximum mileage with the cruise control, set it at a speed a few MPH below what you want to drive. Gain speed above your target speed when going downhill, and allow the speed to drop to that lower set speed when going uphill. That's how truckers drive, it maintains energy going downhill, and minimizes loss going uphill.

What hills? :)

That is why cruise control isn't as good as driver speed control, for fuel mileage,

I disagree. I have tested both ways of driving on 500 mile runs and cruise control is always 1-2 MPG better.

CDW6212R said:
For maximum mileage with the cruise control, set it at a speed a few MPH below what you want to drive. Gain speed above your target speed when going downhill, and allow the speed to drop to that lower set speed when going uphill.

Don, this confuses me. how is it possible to do this in our Explorers? When I set cruise for say, 55 mph, and go down a hill, as soon as the truck goes over 55 mph, the brake activates, which is not what I would prefer. I guess I could hit "coast" but that would be tedious...

The cruise control is NOT connected to the brake. You might just be feeling engine braking as you go downhill.:D

^^ yeah i was going to say....my cruise isnt connected to the brake it just lets off of the throttle...

Rhett said:
When I set cruise for say, 55 mph, and go down a hill, as soon as the truck goes over 55 mph, the brake activates...

Huh?

damn it, here is an issue. My father has a 98 mounty, with about 100 k on it. WEll he just had a tune up in January where they cleaned injectors and really charged him a ****load of money. GRRr I Wasn't around for this, but also, ever since this tune up, which cleaned fuel system, put in platinum plugs etc etc, he has lost about 3 or 4 mpg. What the hell is up? Any ideas what could be wrong. I have recentlyu bought him a diablo chip with a econ program on it, and no worky there either. Thank you in advance for your ideas... Peace and happy memorial day...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aldive....Have you ever tried these?

http://www.milesmor.myffi.biz/en/section_100.asp?carPos=truck

I don't know if they work or not, but you are the biggest fuel economy guru out there, so I'm just wondering if you have tried them ??? I know you can't afford to try EVERY fuel ecomony gimmick out there....:D

This company is based in your state...

Back