My rotors are warped, gotta a couple of ??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rotors are warped, gotta a couple of ???

or you could just got to your local parts store.... doesnt matter which and get normal rotors that only cost you 40 bucks a piece and replace them every so often.... my ratio is about 2 sets of pads to one set of rotors.... specially if you use semi metalic or full mettalic pads. which while you will be replacing them every so often if you buy the good pads like i do that may be 1 set of rotors every 70000 miles or so... thats not to bad of a service life in my opinion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97BlackX5.0 said:
or you could just got to your local parts store.... doesnt matter which and get normal rotors that only cost you 40 bucks a piece and replace them every so often.... my ratio is about 2 sets of pads to one set of rotors.... specially if you use semi metalic or full mettalic pads. which while you will be replacing them every so often if you buy the good pads like i do that may be 1 set of rotors every 70000 miles or so... thats not to bad of a service life in my opinion

For your truck, they cost $40 a piece. For my truck, they are $100 a piece for normal rotors. I will probably be ordering the powerslots from EE in a couple of days. I won't have time to put them on for a week or two. Should I just order the pads from EE, too, or are there some better pads out there?

I just replaced all the brakes on my sister's 01 sport. I found that none of the local autozone's stocked the front rotors. I ended up going to Ford and buying the Motorcraft front rotors for 63 each

agree that explorers have wimpy brakes, my 03 with 4 wheel discs are the worst brakes i have ever had on any truck, are to friggen small for the wgt of the ST.
Pulsating pedal is usually almost always caused by warped rotors In my experiance, Wifes beemer m5s went south at 22k miles, were replaced with Brembos which are also made for stangs, need to look into if they have them for my ST.

With all this talk about new rotors, I'm thinking about getting some. I'm looking at some right now that I can choose slotted, cross-drilled, slotted & cross-drilled, or diamond slotted. Which should I choose?

Husky
Am also sitting on the fence, am told that drilled rotors lose mass, that slotted are better, cannot answere your question but heats the culprit without question, just found out that Brembo makes rotors for my application, i want to go bigger diameter rotors and ceramic pads

I've heard some bad things about cross drilled rotors but then again some premier brake manufacturers sell them so who knows. I was putting rotors on the Explorer every 10k miles until I had the slotted ones installed and they've been on there now for 90k no signs of warpage...

Alright, I started thinking and looking around some more and came to a conclusion, but I got another question first. I found some other rotors, by SP Performance, and emailed the site a question about shipping. They emailed me back this response:

The listing on the website that say Sport- should say SPORT-TRAC.
The listings for the regular Explorer are what you need if you just have an Explorer Sport (NOT SPORT TRAC) model.

I thought that the '01 Sports had the same brakes as the Sport tracs. I know the Powerslots from EE say that they fit both the sport and sporttrac. So what's up here? If I order the ones for the Sport trac(which are about $75 cheaper) will they fit alright?

Wow! I was looking at that same site! Now that the EE deal is over for rotors I went searching. They also carry Powerslots for cheap :D

At advanceautoparts.com your rears are listed for 37.88 a piece and your fronts are listed for 57.88 a piece. Just thought you would like to know.... where do you usually shop for your parts thats for 4wd though which i dont know if you have or not... the 2wd ones are only slightly more expensive

Back