My turn... spare droped on the road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turn... spare droped on the road

Where to put that spare(235/75/15)

• On a custum bumper mount

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Inside the Ex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back to original location(repair the snaped cable)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
Yesterday my spare just droped on the road, furtunatly there no one behind me to received the tire. The damned cable was rusted, I did grease it and a month ago just looked find, but it was not. Has for now I need suggestion on wich location would be best for mounting the spare, bumper or inside truck. I'm not sure of inside since I do lots of renovation and need the inside space, as for the bumper mount, does it block too much of the rear window view. Drop in with your experience and suggestion, I did a search and have pics of the models I'm looking into, but want experience so I do not dislike the choice I will make. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol sounds almost as bad as my hood popping open the other day if not worse. good luck!

Inboard mount

Yes CBoug76 I saw these and printed out. My concerne is I have 3 dogs that often ride in that area, so if I make one similar to this, it would be closer to the window(I have original tire size) so I can have more rear space available.

Personally I like mine outside underneath so it is never in the way....I could't vote so I figured I'l just post

On my design, I have it as close to the window as possible. But if you were to have the pipe bend, you could mount the base of the pipe closer to the rear of the truck, and have it bend towards the front. this way you can get it closer to the window with out hitting the Wheel well. If you have any questions, fell free and e-mail me. I will be more then happy to help you out.

Another idea

My father had a Ranger 95, the spare was under it but with somekind of plate retaining it instead of the cable. You drop the plate and pull the tire. Do you think that thing from a Ranger could fit into the Ex, it would solve many problem.

many pickups including Fords, Chebys, and Mopars use that plate system for securing spares under the truck. I'm sure you can find or fab one to fit. One problem with those systems is that the spare is frequently stolen because it is very easy to remove, so you have to figure a way to lock it.

Hey splash, how does your rack bolt to the roof or what ever? I have one too, it was a super nice one but it just hooks to the original luggage rack bars. I don't know how other brands hook up but mine is a Steel Horse, i like it and i've put some bags up there when travling, i was just wondering how sturdy yours was to hold a tire? I know i've told you this before but man, i love your explorer! Thanks!

Happy trailes!

my Explorer has a supplimentary retainer under the vehicle, a bar and wing nut type thing fixed to the chassis, was yours fitted with this.

Not...

No mine is a 94, but last night I just tought of some hybride between the Ranger and Explorer tire mount. The idea was to pull up the tire with the original winch (25$ at Ford, I checked) and some bar for security, just like your is fitted. So for $$$$ reason I think I'm going with that solution. Thanks for all your answer.

Originally posted by Jot017
Hey splash, how does your rack bolt to the roof or what ever? I have one too, it was a super nice one but it just hooks to the original luggage rack bars. I don't know how other brands hook up but mine is a Steel Horse, i like it and i've put some bags up there when travling, i was just wondering how sturdy yours was to hold a tire? I know i've told you this before but man, i love your explorer! Thanks!

Happy trailes!

The rack is very sturdy, even with my spare 33 up there. It goes into the stock channels attached to the roof. There are four little "feet" that bolt to the rack and then they slide into the stock channels. I have hit tree limbs and even bumped into a couple trees when I was off camber and the thing is still solid. I do check it from time to time and tighten the bolds, but it has never moved. The tire carrier can be positions in the front or in the back (like I have it) of the rack. Also keep in mind that I have the smallest rack they make (50x40 I think). If you have the Steel Horse, yours is a little heavyer than mine, because mine is made of alluminum(sp) not steel.

Back