My weekend SUCKED | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My weekend SUCKED

Post number 76 has been selected as best answered.

I'll get a full story up soon. Just got back. Short story - the car infront of me rearended the car infront of him, came to a dead stop while I was going 60mph. I swerved, couldn't get out of the way. I dont think damage is as bad as it looks, but my car is in SC and I'm in VA. No one was hurt, my gf wasn't wearing a seatbelt and she was ok (and yes, I do yell at her all the time to wear her seatbelt).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek:
damn, sorry about your truck, glad no one was hurt :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hydroxy, I just PMed you.
I would be glad to help you bring your Ex back to life.
Fairfax is not too far of a hike for me.
I would be glad to help out.

It doesn't look too terrible.

It looks like a mostly high hit which is nice.

The clincher is gonna be that right rail.
If it is up, how much.

Bad news... just found out the insurence company totalled it - apparently there is $6800 of damage before they even looked under the hood. SOOOOO I think odds are 99% that I'm going to buy it back and repair it myself.

If anyone knows anyone in SC where I could store the truck for a couple weeks, I would be really appreciative.

hydroxy said:
Bad news... just found out the insurence company totalled it - apparently there is $6800 of damage before they even looked under the hood. SOOOOO I think odds are 99% that I'm going to buy it back and repair it myself.

If anyone knows anyone in SC where I could store the truck for a couple weeks, I would be really appreciative.

We always hate to let the ones we love go but are you sure? $6800.00 + under hood damages - the cheaper price of doing it yourself + the cost of a body shop if there is frame damage + a salvage title (insurance companies will look at your vehicle much different than they do now) + the money it costs to buy it back = a much newer truck to start fresh with. I'm not in any way condemning (sp?) you for what you are thinking of doing, heck I did a rebuild on an Audi that I had that was totalled. I loved that car. But when I was rear ended later the insurance company would not give me much because the car was totalled once already. Just trying to have you look at the other side of your coin. You have loved and your heart has been broken, you will be able to love again.

well thats good in some ways. i would get it driveable and drive it and fix it as you go. but make it driveable. but if you want to part it out i need some stuff.

great been doing alot to it. but dont mention me anymore please. i need to talk to rick before i say anything else on that subject. thanks

A Wise Guy said:
We always hate to let the ones we love go but are you sure? $6800.00 + under hood damages - the cheaper price of doing it yourself + the cost of a body shop if there is frame damage + a salvage title (insurance companies will look at your vehicle much different than they do now) + the money it costs to buy it back = a much newer truck to start fresh with. I'm not in any way condemning (sp?) you for what you are thinking of doing, heck I did a rebuild on an Audi that I had that was totalled. I loved that car. But when I was rear ended later the insurance company would not give me much because the car was totalled once already. Just trying to have you look at the other side of your coin. You have loved and your heart has been broken, you will be able to love again.

There isn't 6800 of damage without looking under the hood. I dont know how they got that estimate. The frame wasn't even touched (if the frame was bent, the bumper shouldn't be in as good shape as it is). I'm not going to put more money into this pig then it's worth - but getting a new car is just about as much of a gamble. I just had this things front end drivetrain rebuilt a year ago for $1,200. I want to get my money's worth. I'm going to look under the hood before I buy it back, but there isn't that much damage under there. AC, Lines/ radiator hose , vaccuum canister or whatever it is called and that should be about it.

if you do decide to get rid of it. i would love to buy your taillight covers!!!

hope you end up happy with whatever you do!

Just trying to make sure that you aren't blinded by love. Especially since it is a pretty truck.

A Wise Guy said:
Just trying to make sure that you aren't blinded by love. Especially since it is a pretty truck.

Yea, I probably will be a little partial to keeping it no matter what =) It all depends what kinda dough the insurence company will cough up. Right now I figure there is $3,000 just in parts. Then little things I'm sure will pop up. And then I have to think about the towing cost, the shop rental fee, paying to have monmix possibly come down to help me - there are a billion and a half costs I'm going to have to add up.

Then I have to figure out how much I can allow costs to go over what I get from insurence that would compensate for getting a new car, registering it yada yada yada.

hydroxy said:
paying to have monmix possibly come down to help me - .

Hell, lunch / dinner and a 2 leiter of lemonade is not gonna cost that much.

Your a hell of a guy Monmix :thumbsup:

i dont know if its just me. but seems like body/paint guys are some of the best guys around. allways want to try and help. without getting much in return. props to body/paint guys out there. :thumbsup:

Dang, that's really nice of you Monmix. Hydroxy, good luck getting your truck fixed.

yada yada yada said:
i dont know if its just me. but seems like body/paint guys are some of the best guys around. allways want to try and help. without getting much in return. props to body/paint guys out there. :thumbsup:

They are also the ones usually driving around with a door or fender in primer. ;)

A Wise Guy said:
They are also the ones usually driving around with a door or fender in primer. ;)

Cold day in hell that happens with me !!! :)

I see it like this.
He has helped me here more than a few times.
He is a guy in need. I know if I was in need I would want some one to help me out.

I am a firm believer in " What goes around, comes around "

Back