My weekend SUCKED | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My weekend SUCKED

Post number 76 has been selected as best answered.

I'll get a full story up soon. Just got back. Short story - the car infront of me rearended the car infront of him, came to a dead stop while I was going 60mph. I swerved, couldn't get out of the way. I dont think damage is as bad as it looks, but my car is in SC and I'm in VA. No one was hurt, my gf wasn't wearing a seatbelt and she was ok (and yes, I do yell at her all the time to wear her seatbelt).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MONMIX said:
Hell, lunch / dinner and a 2 leiter of lemonade is not gonna cost that much.

Ha, I wouldn't let you help me if that is all you would let me give ya.

I am really anxious for the stupid insurence company to call me with their offer on the car. Everyone (family people) seems to want me to just take the money and buy a new car.

I can't seem to find the lug key to my front set of lug locks. The tag that had the lug luck key # on it is missing as well. What would be the process of getting those things off?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hydroxy said:
Ha, I wouldn't let you help me if that is all you would let me give ya.

I am really anxious for the stupid insurence company to call me with their offer on the car. Everyone (family people) seems to want me to just take the money and buy a new car.

I can't seem to find the lug key to my front set of lug locks. The tag that had the lug luck key # on it is missing as well. What would be the process of getting those things off?

There's always a way to get wheels off. Pull all yer parts, scrap it and find one with a V-8 if you even want to stick it out with an expo. Tha's just my end. With all that work, it'll save you alot of headaches of fixing it.

Some lug locks can be removed by hammering a Craftsman 12 point deep well onto them. (I'd use the craftsman, becasue the sockets will sometimes bow out when doing this.) It's a crappy decision to have to make.

Most tire shops have a tool that digs into wheel locks and takes them off.....

I GOT MY CO-OP!!!!!!!!! which basically means I take a semester off school to go work for a company for like 6 months. This is very good in terms of rebuilding my explorer - because it means that my weekends will be completely free next semester (wont have to worry about homework, projects, etc). It also means I will be bringing in some money.

I'm going to be picking 'er up next Sunday. I'll be taking a look under the hood before I do - but odds are I'll just be taking her anyways.

Got off the phone w/ insurance - they said the total value was $4,900 for the car. There is a $500 deductable. Buying the car back costs $929.

soooooo if I keep it, I'll get $3,500 to do all the repairs. Any ideas?

Let me know...

Buy it back for parts. Come to Texas and buy a 96 5 liter for $4000, and swap parts onto it. Really, unless you plan on keeping the thing for ever and ever it wont be worth fixing. You have to decide how much sentimental value it holds.... just keep in mind that if you fix it you will never be able to sell it and get any money for it.

why wouldn't I be able to get any money for it selling it? I was talking w/ the insurence lady about VA salvage laws - she said you dont have to notify the state or get any inspection or anything like that...

Well, if it wont have a salvage title than that will help alot. You still havent really mentioned frame damage.... you said they stopped at the bodywork since that alone was gonna total it. Im not trying to discourage you in any way... im just looking into the future and fact is used 2nd gen. Explorers have no resale value. If the truck means alot to you then by all means fix it.... just understand you're pouring alot of money into a truck that just isnt worth much (no offense, mines not worth much either :p ). If its gonna cost you 4k to fix it..... why not buy another running X for 4k and swap all your parts onto it? Then part out your old wrecked one and make money on it. Just an idea.

look for one with rear damage on eBay. Get the V8 too. You could easily see one come up for under 3k.

I dont think there is any frame damage. The grille was torn back and I could look right down at the frame. The bumper mounts weren't bent at all - which I would assume would be the first thing to go if the entire frame was bent.

I'll have to think about the parting another truck onto it... The main cost in fixing is buying new airbags. That is like $1200 alone. The rest of the damage is probably $1500, maybe less.

airbags from a JY are like 125 each here at the local u-pullit. Let me know if you need me to get you some.

I'm just unsure about buying airbags other then new... I mean if one ever failed to go off - it would be bad to think someone got hurt because I didn't spend the extra money to get the new air bags....

arg - I need to call the people tomorrow - I dont know what to do!!!! bbbbllllaaahhhh

I dont think I could do the whole swap thing - because I dont think I'll have room to store two cars. Finding the room to store one car is going to be hard enough.

Have the frame checked before you do anything. Seriously. Just because you cant see that its warped doesnt mean that it isnt. The straight bumper brackets are a good sign but what if it tweaked at one of the control arms? You cant eyeball a frame and tell much.....

Here are some more pics - up close and personal. Most are after/during the stripping process.

I ripped out all my stereo wires and such.. stuck a crappy OEM radio in the dash - didn't connect it or anything. I took off the EE sway bars and tossed some OEM ones onfront, and tossed the rear one in the back of the truck. It was a PITA to get everything off - took about 8 hours.

Also - WHEELS LOCKS DO NOTHING. I got my front wheels off (without the luck-lock keys) in about 10 minutes. Now that I know what to do, I'm positive I could get them off in about 2 minutes. If I had 10 sockets of the right size, I could get them off in about 1 minute. They will keep the dumb people from stealing your rims - but other then that, they do nothing.

I'll be posting a rant about the first couple pictures you see tomorrow or something... but this is all for tonight. more pictures tomorrow

10058P1010025_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010026_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010024_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010023_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010022_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010021_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010020_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010019_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010018_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010017_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010016_Medium_1.JPG

10058P1010015_Medium_.JPG

10058P1010014_Medium_1.JPG

10058P1010011_Medium_.JPG

tear.....

boominXplorer said:
tear.....

river...

I'm sure its hard to see it go. But you'll be going onto newer and better ones.

I have never seen that before...Usually the forklifts pick ti up sideways...You would think that it would be dangerous they way they did it....

OMG I can't belive it, that so sucks, I can't belive I'm watching as one of our members X's is going to Heaven. :(

I'm in total shock!! :eek:

Crankcase said:
I have never seen that before...Usually the forklifts pick ti up sideways...You would think that it would be dangerous they way they did it....

no not actually, with this lift I would snatch up a 4dr diesel dually and and move it into the shop for dismantling.

Plus how do you think I moved my junk arounf when I had the motor and tranny out? Push? You have to be outta your mind, I'm too old to push!

16937lift1.jpg

Back