• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious clunk

jus97tin

Reaction score
City, State
carlisle, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt, 97 ranger
Ok folks I'm ready to pull my hair out. I had my transmission rebuilt in April if I remember correctly. About a week after getting it back I noticed that when I take my foot off the gas at a lower speed like if I let off at the 1st to 2nd shift or the 2nd to 3rd it makes a clunk noise. Its driving me nuts. I greased my slip joint and my u joints have little to no play. The clunk sounds like it is at my feet but I know that sound travels so who knows. The shaft does have about and inch of spin play back and forth. It kind of seems like a bad trans mount or motor mount. It did have the same noise before I got the trans rebuilt but it would do it when I would come to a stop. Now it does it at a different time and I really hope it isn't the trans. Really what I think I'm looking for is to see if everyone thinks its the trans it if the clunk is from a nice new tight trans and that's making something else show it's weekness. So please let me know what you think

No other work was done with the trans other than a rear main seal was put in. I thought about the radius arm bushings and even looked at them many times. When I bought it they were about a year or two old but it looks like they only replaced the front one one the passenger side and the back one on the drivers side. If it helps any it doesn't clunk when in really one the gas only when it is just normal driving conditions. But not all the time

Back