• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious Smoke

DominicanX

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
I have smoke that randomly starts coming out of my steering column near the top in front of the gauge cluster. When this happens the left turn signal indicator bulb freezes and stays lit a dim green.

What is going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the multi function switch or the ignition switch is frying. Fix it quick or you will have an Interior Fire.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere between the blinker switch and the flasher. Like Crankcase says, you'd better find it , Doesn't sound good.

I'd guess the multifunction switch. It isn't that uncommon actually. Search around and you will see a lot of folks have this. There was a recall on the switch but even the replaced ones seem to short and smoke. Mine does it every now and then and has for about 2 years now. I've not done anything to fix it but I get the left blinker freeze as well. I wouldn't recommend going 2 years without fixing it. It's an easy and relatively cheap fix. Around $50 for the part if I recall correctly.

Ford has a recall on some models of Fords because of wiring problems dealing with the cruise control I believe. Might want to check because there was an early 2000 Explorer that burned to the ground here. The young girl said something smelled funny when she parked it.

jasonb sounds like it is the same exact thing you got. What is the part that I have to replace?

its called the multifunction switch.
if you get in there and look at it now.. you'll see a little bit of burnt wire.

ok thanks alot that will be on the agenda for this weekend

I saw this post for a while now, but never checked it out. i thought maybe its the kind of smoke that comes from my steering column.
Well i guess it is. The same exact thing happens to me. In my case I thought I was going crazy, I am always the only one who sees this smoke. But does my 1st gen even have that switch?

Yup, it still has a multi-function switch. It's the blinker, high beam, windshield wiper, window fluid switch.

Back