• Register Today It's free!

mystery transmission

whitewolf_00

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ranger XLT,2.3L
Hi , I have a 94 ranger 2.3l 2x4. The original transmission was going bad. So I found a recommended shop and took the truck in. They replaced it . a couple days later I took it back and they put a second transmission in due to the first one being bad. (they got it from junk yard.
the second transmission had shifting problems. 3rd and 4th were very sloppy. I could shift up to third into the dash. and down to fourth to the seat. Long story short new mech looked at transmission and replaced some pieces up in the shifter area.They are saying the current shift knob (original) is too short. the tail peice needs to be longer. They just so happend to have a transmission they were rebuilding. and temporarily put the shifter in and it took care of the issues. They say it was from a 2003? I would like to know what it came from. the sticker on the side says F57A-AA.C675080. any idea's? I need to buy a after market shifter. no one carries one here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You joined nine years ago, and finally posted!?! Welcome!! :thumbsup:

You don't say specifically, but you're talking about a manual transmission, right?

www.rsgear.com/

this is rockland standard gear they are manual transmission only store they are very knowledgeable I dont think there are any aftermarket shifters for the trans that I know of but usually top loader shifters are easy to fix

go to the junkyard near you, take a shifter out of another truck, and compare,,

they're easy to remove , take the boot off, undo the 3 bolts and it just pulls up,, easy as that,,

Mystery transmission.

Yes sorry I forgot to update. I no longer have the 99. I now have the 94. Yes it is a manual transmission. According to the last shop they called several junk yards, called north and south in the Puget sound region. (Seattle area). I guess the junkyards pull the shifters and sell them on eBay. they sell fast.I think my best option is to id the transmission. what years vehical they went in. then I can buy a aftermarket shifter.

If the shifter is too short, possibly from a body lift, Summit Racing sells shifter extensions. When I did my swap, mine was too short due to the lift. The extension fixed it all right up and only cost me around $40.00. Good luck.

A 94 with a manual trans has the M5OD-R1.

Hurst makes a shifter to fit, or at least used. Several members have it...

Moving this to the Transmission section.

Yes I jut looked in our parts dept it only shows the m5od r1 trans which has the shifter assy I spoke of. If you take the top shifter arm off you will see three bolts I think allen head you pop out the lower shifter assy its only a couple inches long real easy to get out. There is a plastic bushing on top and one on bottom of the ball in the shifter arm and a wavespring to keep it tight if the bushing is worn out or missing the shifter is real loose. this is the dorman kit I posted above. If you need I can see if ford ones still available.

Back