Squeak/Rattle in Panoramic Moonroof/Sunroof - 2023 Explorer Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeak/Rattle in Panoramic Moonroof/Sunroof - 2023 Explorer Platinum

riproaringca

Reaction score
City, State
Peterborough, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer Platinum
Backstory: We took delivery of our brand new 2023 Explorer Platinum in the relatively warm month of May 2023 here in Peterborough, Ontario. As the weather became colder and as we put some km's on the odometer, we noticed a super-annoying squeak or rattle coming from the passenger side roofliner or moonroof/sunroof. Couldn't figure it out for the longest time: Weather and time commitments made us put it off.

The Solution: Found a thread on Reddit's Ford Explorer ST group which pinpointed the OEM square rubber insulator pads located on both sides of the car -- in the moonroof/sunroof mechanism, right behind the passenger and driver's ear where the big, plastic bar separates the sunroof from the rear panoramic glass.
These pads appear to be landing spots for the spring-loaded plastic bar to rest when the front glass is in the 'closed' position. One of ours was in the proper position, the other on the driver's side was out of position so that the plastic 'foot' landed on the metal of the roof, thereby putting a bit of a torque in the plastic bar whenever the sunroof was closed. This likely put some extra pressure on the passenger's side 'foot' which was exacerbated when colder weather caused everything to tighten-up.

Removed the original pads and replaced them with adhesive-back felt pads (the kind you'd put on a cupboard door) which are available at any dollar store.

To get at these pads, pop open the sunroof. Carefully removing them is pretty easy with a flat-bladed screwdriver if you can't get a purchase with your fingers on a corner to peel them away from the metal framing.

The Result: The spring temperature on the day this was completed and solved was about 0 Celcius -- plenty cold to allow the squeak to occur before the repair. After the new felt pads were installed the Explorer was taken on a couple of test drives. No annoying squeak!

1 Ford Explorer 2023_sunroof moonroof_oem passenger.jpg

2 Ford Explorer 2023_sunroof moonroof_oem driver.jpg

3 Ford Explorer 2023_sunroof moonroof_felt passenger.jpg

4 Ford Explorer 2023_sunroof moonroof_felt driver.jpg

5 Ford Explorer 2023_sunroof moonroof_rubber pads.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easiest would probably be to get a 2nd person involved, one drives while the other is back there trying to better locate the source.

Like you stated, could just be two things rubbing together. If you think it's the shade, try to replicate the noise while operating or having opened the shade? I'd think that the plastic interior trim is another possibility, you could push on it every few inches to see if there's any give to it or not secured in well, and spray some silicone (armor all, etc or dry silicone aerosol spray) into seams. You might also put some silicone on the door gaskets and have the windows open by various amounts to see if the noise goes away.

it's a good chance it's from the sunshade. Been a number of posts about it.

Hi, all.

Has anyone else noticed a noise coming from the rear passenger side's ceiling whenever the vehicle is in motion? I've noticed it more since the weather has become colder (our new Explorer was delivered in May 2023 when it was much warmer) and especially when the SUV body 'flexes' over road bumps.
To me, the noise sounds like two plastic surfaces chafing on one another. It's not a rattle -- it's more like two surfaces rubbing together ever-so-slightly.

Our vehicle has the panoramic roof with the large retractable sun shade. I wonder if there's something in shade's mechanism causing this.

Any similarities out there or ideas on what it could be?

I'll be exploring it a bit more in short order. The sound is super-annoying when I don't have the sound system loud enough to mask it! ;)

2023 Explorer Platinum
401A package
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I've not noticed it in any of my vehicles. If it might be related to the shade as Dale mentioned, try fully closing it and see if the issue prevails.
Not too many members from Peterborough here.;)

Peter

Mine has started with it as well, since the temps have cooled.
IIRC, there are magnets that hold [partially?] the headliner up, and I seem to recall someone mentioning putting some strategically placed felt to mute these noises.

So not sure if the sound is like a squeak.. but i had two unrelated noises that I recently trouble shot myself. One was the the flapping of the guard under the car (documented in other posts) that i found was a loose nut.. when tightened up the sound went away.

The other was more of a squeaking sound... its stopped when i opened the moonroof... and i eventually figured out that the plastic cover that hides joint between the moonroof and the panoramic roof is spring loaded... and has two little tables that press up against the moonroof. These tabs have a sticker/pad that protects it from being plastic on metal... and the sticker has shifted so the tab was squeaking against the metal. you can see this if vent the roof (instead of opening it..) and gently pull down on the front of the cover... you can see the indentations in the sticker where the tabs hit... or in my case didn't hit...

If that (arguably poor) description doesn't explain it but you think it may be the cause, I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

So not sure if the sound is like a squeak.. but i had two unrelated noises that I recently trouble shot myself. One was the the flapping of the guard under the car (documented in other posts) that i found was a loose nut.. when tightened up the sound went away.

The other was more of a squeaking sound... its stopped when i opened the moonroof... and i eventually figured out that the plastic cover that hides joint between the moonroof and the panoramic roof is spring loaded... and has two little tables that press up against the moonroof. These tabs have a sticker/pad that protects it from being plastic on metal... and the sticker has shifted so the tab was squeaking against the metal. you can see this if vent the roof (instead of opening it..) and gently pull down on the front of the cover... you can see the indentations in the sticker where the tabs hit... or in my case didn't hit...

If that (arguably poor) description doesn't explain it but you think it may be the cause, I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
It may be hard to hear over the engine... but the squeaking of the sunroof is there if you listen... and completely went away when moved the stickers.

Apparently the part i'm refering to is teh Water drain panel:

and there's the sticker

1701130473165.png

Back