Fredness

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tejas!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac Adrenalin
As the title suggests...
Not Another Explorer 5.0L To Sport Trac Swap Thread...

Patient: 2005 Ford Sport Trac Adrenaline (4.0L SOHC/5R55E/4WD)
Donor: 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer (5.0L/4R70W/AWD)

Rationale: 186,000 mile patient has failing 5R55E Torque Convertor, engine is in great shape, but concerned about eventual "DeathRattle".
  • V-8 Swap adds torque for towing, 2.85:1/Wide Ratio trans allows for easier towing WITH taller tires.
  • Rebuilding/replacing the 5E55E will not provide any gain - other than the late TCC Release being fixed.
  • 5R55E to be repurposed for another project (Ranger/Foxbody hybrid)
Step 1: Preliminary Research to find Donor - Complete
  • 2000 Explorer is PATS
  • AWD swap is compatible with 4WD
Step 2: Acquire Donor - Complete
Step 3: Acquire Exhaust - Ordered
  • Torque Monster Headers (or something), MagnaFlow Federal Cats in stainless as Factory exhaust is 20+yo and heavily rusted.
  • This build will keep the engine itself stock, and mods will be limited to Headers/Cats/Exhaust/Intake/Tune as those are known weaknesses with good towing gains.
  • Muffler/Tailpipes TBD - Possibly adapt existing MagnaFlow SISO Catback from patient.
Step 4: Build harness adapter, incorporating "repinning" into the extension harness as much as possible. - Researching/Acquiring parts
Step 5: Swap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need pictures and details as you go. Always like seeing and reading about swaps.

Side Quests:
ReKey Ignition and doors to match
I was given one key - going to use FORscan to edit once "S" (40bit keys) arrive.

4R70W codes and flashing O/D light
No debris in pan, suspect bad Internal Molded Lead-Frame (plastic harness) or failed EPC Solenoid.

Mileage Items

Plugs, wires, water pump, Crank Position Sensor, O2's.

Donor:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer - Copart $675 Salvage Title, drove from Macon, GA to DFW after pulling the bumper/liner off the right front tire.
20210505_144028.jpg

Patient:
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin
1622199389999.png

That looks like a sweet deal for 675.

Drove all the way to Dallas before the serpentine idler pulley let loose.
Tow truck driver lived in same town, offered to take me to my driveway for a few dollars more than the tow off the highway.
Win/Win (fat tip).

If you look just below the rear taillight housing, you will see the body is pushed in - it prevents the lift gate from latching, lets in exhaust fumes, keeps the door open light and overhead lights on (for a while), and it would be WAY too much work to salvage - but for a parts truck? Perfect.

*****in!
I have done an 05 and it is currently a daily driver. I was able to get entire instrument cluster working except for the digital odometer

Also I get a code for the canister vent solenoid I have not sorted out yet. Same thing happened on a 04 ranger swapped to 5.0. Canister vent code I have not sorted out. I believe the 04+ canister vent solenoid simply is not compatible with the 5.0 pcm. My plan is to install the 5.0 canister vent assembly (above spare tire) I have checked the wiring 100 times.

On the 05 I also bypassed the fuel pump driver module, very easy to do

The 05 trac I did is my daughter in laws daily. It’s a simple swap stock manifolds and intakes stock everything except 4406m t case custom driveshafts (built from f150 bits) and a dual in single out flowmaster muffler with stock sohc tailpipe
Truck works awesome, she can live with no odometer. I wanted to see if there are any aftermarket odometers that can be used to keep trac of miles (get it trac miles? Haha)

Dakota digital speedometer device was required to make the speed signal for the truck. The 04 ranger I was never able to make the 04
Cluster work so we wired it backwards to use a 2000 cluster… that takes a bit of know how. The 05 trac I was surprised when the cluster came to life and all functions work (aside from digital odo of course)

Did you buy the 05 wiring book? It’s a good idea

171_281114_090000000.jpg

here is a 5.0 drivers side engine mount plate drilled to fit the sohc mount
it is super easy todo you can just drop the plate down there in position and wiggle it, the second stud will mark the location you need to drill

The 05 trac I was surprised when the cluster came to life and all functions work (aside from digital odo of course)

I should have noted that at first I did not think. We were going to be able to use the 05’clustern only half of the functions were working during initial testing I could not get a speedo or tachometer. We were actually going to put her 05
Cluster on eBay and wire the truck backwards to earlier cluster and then during a few days of test driving the tach started to work as did the speedo!

Did you buy the 05 wiring book? It’s a good idea
I bought the 2000 Explorer Electrical Manual and the 2005 Sport Trac Electrical Manual.

Debating an adapter vs. repinning, we'll see.

20240223_093001.jpg

Good luck! Keep us posted on the progress! Converting 05 is not exactly easy!

TIL the "plain key" the locksmith cut for me spins the starter on the 2000 Eddie Bauer.
Does this mean it's "PATS-Free"?
Or does the 2000 PATS keep the starter, but disable coils/fuel only?

It will crank all day long but never start
The theft light will flash rapidly

If the theft Light goes out while cranking the starter then it is happy with the pats key

Cool, not something I've ever noticed! Makes sense.
Thanks! I'll verify that theft light.
[Edit: Verified - Didn't see it before, but the "THEFT" light flashes as it cranks - No start.]

Waiting for 2 - 40 Bit ("S") keys to program; I verified the full licensed version of FORScan can access PATS Keys, and retrieved keyless entry code.
[Salvage vehicle, came with 1 key lost in storage and no codes]

Confirmed "ChinAzon" $9 "(not so) "OEM" keys work as secondary keys (#3 or higher), but not as primaries (Masters, #1, and 2).

Used FORScan to delete keys, could not "add" the ChinAzon keys.

2 StratTec Genuine OEM (~$19ea) keys and a new Motorcraft SW6383 "build your own" ignition cylinder ordered, going to rekey the new ignition cylinder in the EB, then transfer after the swap.

Stratec keys are the ones we use here too glad I never tried the cheaper ones!

Waiting on more trans parts, don't want to start the engine with the trans dry.

Some backstory: I had a NON-PATS key cut by the locksmith to work the door and ignition, I reassured him a dozen times I knew what I was getting into, the chipped key I had with the new ignition cylinder and matching door locks got packed in an unmarked box in storage, but we needed a key to move the truck to the new property.

Used FORScan to delete ALL keys, and program the 2 Stratec (uncut, new in bag) keys by holding them to the ignition cylinder "wings" to verify the PCM would take them. It did, so now I can get them cut. It worked, but only for 1 key the first time. By the 3rd time it registered 2 of 2 keys, no "theft" light while cranking.

Looking forward to installing the EPC/VB so I can add fluid and start her up! (First time in almost a year.)

20240320_164837.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I am looking into is using SCT AdvantageIII or FORScan to kill all the trans learning.

I know I can kill ALL learning as I do for initial STFT/LTFT/MAF tweaks, but that would be suboptimal for a "Daily"/Roadtrip vehicle.

Edit: No way to kill JUST transmission learning in SCT

Back