• Register Today It's free!

Name That Sound!

KiloWatts

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
Alright folks - let's test the power of the hivemind here...

I've got a "clinking" noise coming from under the front of the vehicle. It clinks in time depending on how fast the tires are turning. When I hit bumps or potholes, it REALLY clinks and sounds like a heavy chain rattling around. It could be a loose nut, or maybe there's a bad bushing somewhere.

Here's the key clue that might reveal the problem: The clinking sound stops as soon as I press the brake. Even if I slightly press it, no more clinking sound.

Okay, GO! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RA bushings .

^^^ if it's clinking

vvv if it's clicking..

..Brake caliper slide pins..;)

..You need to clean and grease them and probably are due for new ones..You can easily test this theory by looking at all 4 of them..There will be one on the side that is making noise that is sticking out, or further in, than the others..

..You can tap it with about any wrench or hammer to center it and the noise will disappear until it gets stuck in that position again..:hammer:

Or the anti rattle spring on the pads has fallen off or broken

^^^ if it's clinking

vvv if it's clicking..

..Brake caliper slide pins..;)

..You need to clean and grease them and probably are due for new ones..You can easily test this theory by looking at all 4 of them..There will be one on the side that is making noise that is sticking out, or further in, than the others..

..You can tap it with about any wrench or hammer to center it and the noise will disappear until it gets stuck in that position again..:hammer:

I deleted that post somehow trying to edit it.but sea the clanking is kind of why i said RA bushings.clicking then its break related;)

Or the anti rattle spring on the pads has fallen off or broken

^^^ When you hear that noise it's to late, no brakes..I had that one happen and the pads fell out as soon as I heard the noise..:rolleyes:

EDIT: ...Fixed the delete for ya..;)

^^^ When you hear that noise it's to late, no brakes..I had that one happen and the pads fell out as soon as I heard the noise..:rolleyes:

EDIT: ...Fixed the delete for ya..;)

Really?maybe we are talking about two different things.there shouldn't be any way the pad will come out.let me find a pic.yea was trying to add a quote in there but idk what happened:)lol

these,your in that thread also;)

a0xcuv.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242412

..And I stand by my statement..Without those clips and with warn pads, the pads will fall out and the next noise you hear will be the caliper piston hitting the rotor..:D

..And I stand by my statement..Without those clips and with warn pads, the pads will fall out and the next noise you hear will be the caliper piston hitting the rotor..:D

O i believe you..just never thought they would.sounds like you had a fun experience with that:(

Just another idea here. I'm going to guess it's the e-brake cable rattling against the frame. The e-brake doesn't usually have anything to do with front brakes.

pbrake_002.jpg

I'm gonna guess its either radius arm bushing or shock bushing. The radius arm bushing will be a heavy clunking sound and will be especially apparent when going over bumps. If you hear it coming more from the front of the vehicle, I would check out the upper shock bushings, which can make noise even on the smallest of bumps while driving down the road.

I heard an annoying clicking noise from my front end for the past few weeks. I thought it might be a loose washer but after tightening the radius arm axle bolts (dangerously loose - haven't checked them since I installed the lift last year) the noise didn't go away. Then I checked the shock bushing, and sure enough the bushing had disintegrated, causing lots of play for the shock stud to move around in the hole (low pitched clinking) and letting the upper and lower bushing washers rattle around (high pitched clinking).

BNMngh.jpg

RA bushings or u joint in the drive shaft.

Sway bar end link bushings. Mine are shot and click away. New ones are en-route.

Basically check all bushings.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to get under there soon and reveal the culprit. Just one question : what does "RA" stand for?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to get under there soon and reveal the culprit. Just one question : what does "RA" stand for?

radius arms

Thanks... after a bit of research, I don't think it's the radius arms.

The sound I'm hearing happens regularly on each tire rotation, increasing with speed as the tires rotate faster. It also jingles when I hit bumps. And, as I said, the regular clinking stops when the brake pedal is pressed even the tiniest bit. This makes me think it has something to do with the brakes.

I recently put new brake rotors in, so maybe it's something there...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks... after a bit of research, I don't think it's the radius arms.

The sound I'm hearing happens regularly on each tire rotation, increasing with speed as the tires rotate faster. It also jingles when I hit bumps. And, as I said, the regular clinking stops when the brake pedal is pressed even the tiniest bit. This makes me think it has something to do with the brakes.

I recently put new brake rotors in, so maybe it's something there...

Did you use anti rattle clips?like in the pic i posted?

Back