Nav screen grayed out and locked, displaying a green box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nav screen grayed out and locked, displaying a green box

larrymcj

Reaction score
City, State
East Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 White Limited
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer that's only a few days old. I've completely setup the SYNC and MyFord Touch system, paired my Android phone and all *was* working just fine until today. I entered a destination of a very prominent street address and the nav system told me that particular street number was invalid (it's not...it's been there for 40 years in a major city). It offered to take me to the midway point of that street and I agreed with "OK". When I actually arrived at my destination (of course the system didn't know I was there) I manually cancelled the route and the normal green box appeared in the center of the nav screen saying "Are you sure you want to cancel the route" (or something like that) and I pressed "OK". At this point the navigation map went gray (very dimmed out) and the green box was still there with nothing in it.

I tried turning off the car, removing and inserting the Nav SD card again, to no avail. I can't get the navigation system work at all. The map is there...it's displaying exactly wherever I am, but it's still grayed out and I can barely see it and the green box is still there.

On a similar note...just before this trip I plugged in my iPod, was playing music, and then went to the FM radio and unplugged the iPod from the USB slot. This time I got a red box (same size as the green box I previously described) which said "MY NAME's iPod is disconnected. Nothing I could do would make this red box disappear, even though the iPod was totally disconnected. I turned off the car and that box finally went away, but the green one (nav problem) still won't disappear and I can't view the map.

I should mention that I've previously configured destinations and then manually cancelled the routes and this problem didn't occur.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what version of Sync you have installed?

Do you know what version of Sync you have installed?

Not offhand. I recall checking for any updates when I bought it last week and it told me there were no updates available...so I guess I have the latest version. The vehicle was built in May and just delivered to the dealership a week ago.

In that case probably V2.7, same as me. I havent had any problems other than slow response.

You may want to pull fuse #29. If that doesn't work, off to the dealer.

Good luck.

In that case probably V2.7, same as me. I havent had any problems other than slow response.

You may want to pull fuse #29. If that doesn't work, off to the dealer.

Good luck.

I'll go try to figure out if I also have V2.7, but no matter what I'll try a system reset and then try pulling the fuse. It figures...out of thousands of new Explorers I'd get the one with a unique problem :)

I'll go try to figure out if I also have V2.7, but no matter what I'll try a system reset and then try pulling the fuse. It figures...out of thousands of new Explorers I'd get the one with a unique problem :)

A master system reset fixed the problem. But if it continues to lock up every few days, there has to be a gremlin in there and we have to exorcise it <lol>.

I am fortunate enough to be retired so I can take my Exp to the garage without interfering with a work schedule. I have had my touch screen go dark, had pillar noise, and didn't have Navigation after the touch screen repair. It has been working great since. I refuse to mess around with resets, etc. I want documentation on every little problem I experience. I am happy with it now but if it turns into nothing but trouble I want as much evidence as I can possibly get to pursue the alternatives that I would be left with.

This thread is a little old, but I just ran into a similar problem that I was able to fix.

A couple of days ago the green box showed up in the center of my navigation screens. In my case, the green box was empty and shown on all of the nav screens that the car could display. I was still able to use sync to enter a destination by voice, but the green box would sit there right in the middle of the screen while I attempted to navigate to my destination. I use my car for work and travel to 1-2 unknown destinations per day. This was incredibly frustrating!

The green box would also appear on the destination page of the nav and all of the choices would be grayed out. I would have have to hit the voice button to use sync to enter a destination (Note: I usually do this anyway as typing in a destination is about the most frustrating thing I've ever put myself through).

I scoured these forums and some others and eventually found the following link:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=3904

That page describes how to use the siriusXM channel update patch to force your system to reboot. I thought I'd try that rather than searching for fuse 29.

Anyway, the instructions worked perfectly. Took all of 5 minutes to do. After the car started back up and the nav loaded, the green box was gone!

So, I'm happy that I was able to fix this problem, but still extremely frustrated that my brand new 2012 XLT has a major problem that needs to be fixed via a USB update from something I found on the internet.

Back