Nav/Sync System Problem

tpenfield

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 AWD XLT
2017 Explorer XLT 4WD w/ Tech bundle & cold weather pkg:

About 6 weeks ago our Nav system all of a sudden developed an issue where it seems to 'freeze' for about 5-10 seconds in updating progress on the map. Additionally along with this issue is that the direction & turn voice commands (text-to-speech) also 'freezes' mid-phrase for 5-10 seconds. The voice commands always skips/stutters, where as the gps progress is intermittent.

See this attached video for demonstration of the problem during a 35 mile highway trip.

We've had the car to 2 dealers in the area and neither has been able to resolve the issue, even though they have done software updates, etc. I was originally thinking a software bug, but that would not necessarily reveal itself suddenly. Also considered it may be a GPS antennae problem due to the loss of map tracking.

The car & Nav system worked great up until this problem arose (@36K miles). The gps is basically unusable, since the voice commands often take a minute to fully speak, and by then you probably have missed the turn.

Any info, experiences, diagnostics, etc. would be helpful and appreciated. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum.:wave:
I don't believe this type of issue has come up here before. I don't know if a Master Reset or negative battery cable disconnect for 5 or minutes would fix this or not.
Do you know if your dealer tried the Reset? Either one will likely result in some saved memory loss.

Peter

2017 Explorer XLT 4WD w/ Tech bundle & cold weather pkg:

About 6 weeks ago our Nav system all of a sudden developed an issue where it seems to 'freeze' for about 5-10 seconds in updating progress on the map. Additionally along with this issue is that the direction & turn voice commands (text-to-speech) also 'freezes' mid-phrase for 5-10 seconds. The voice commands always skips/stutters, where as the gps progress is intermittent.

See this attached video for demonstration of the problem during a 35 mile highway trip.

We've had the car to 2 dealers in the area and neither has been able to resolve the issue, even though they have done software updates, etc. I was originally thinking a software bug, but that would not necessarily reveal itself suddenly. Also considered it may be a GPS antennae problem due to the loss of map tracking.

The car & Nav system worked great up until this problem arose (@36K miles). The gps is basically unusable, since the voice commands often take a minute to fully speak, and by then you probably have missed the turn.

Any info, experiences, diagnostics, etc. would be helpful and appreciated. TIA.

I had this same problem develop shortly after purchasing my 2017 last year. Had the issues with the navigation sound cutting in and out like your video, but on mine, the entire system was very slow. It turned out to be the APIM. Had it replaced under warranty and so far since then it’s been good to go. It did take several trips to the dealer with many resets before they would approve the APIM replacement though.

I think that one of the dealers did a master reset, because the cell phone pairing was gone.

I may try a reset myself just to see if that improves anything, then maybe disconnect the battery.

It is getting plenty of satellites with good signal strength. It is a Sync 3.0 build 19205. I checked on the Ford site for updates, and it said there was only a map update. Not sure if it can be updated to software version 3.3 or 3.4(?)

it looks like the car is out of warranty, so an APIM replacement might be costly (?)

I did the master reset . . . no change in symptoms

Then I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and re-connected it . . . no change in symptoms.

The car is going back to the dealer on Wednesday, I assume they will want to replace the APIM, which will probably cost a bit. :(

Not happy about the system failing after just a couple of years . . .

..............It is a Sync 3.0 build 19205. I checked on the Ford site for updates, and it said there was only a map update. Not sure if it can be updated to software version 3.3 or 3.4(?)

it looks like the car is out of warranty, so an APIM replacement might be costly (?)
If I recall correctly, map updates with Sync 3 are not free. I believe you have to purchase the update and then have the dealer install it as it will be tied to your VIN.

Peter

I just had my APIM replaced. It came with the new software and the new map update

The car is going back to the dealer today. Should I assume that the vehicle will need an APIM replacement? Probably not under warranty, so would it be $1,000 ish ?

The car is going back to the dealer today. Should I assume that the vehicle will need an APIM replacement? Probably not under warranty, so would it be $1,000 ish ?
Doing a quick search I was only able to find one post that mentioned a cost. $1240 which included a $370 diagnostic fee. There area few threads where members have bought and installed used APIMs and programmed them for their vehicles.

Peter

So, this is generally something causing a very high CPU load, or something that is causing a lot of writes to the storage. The latter is the most common cause of stuttering/pausing prompts. That said, I've not seen something to this extent, so I would wager there may be something wrong with the module itself. The cheapest route, as peterk9 mentioned, is DIY with a used APIM, assuming you're not under warranty.

If you're facing out of warranty costs you may want to try and fix it yourself as accessing this screen and apim takes about 5 minutes. I would start with the forscan software apim reset. Then if that didn't work I would reflash the apim AsBuilt data. I just went through changing the apim and screen in my 14 to upgrade the sync from 2 to 3 and programming, it really wasn't hard and there is tons of info and videos how to do it. You can find apim replacements on ebay for under $300 and often under $200.. It's 8 screws and a few clips you use a nylon tool to pop it open. This video shows how it all opens up..

Quick Update:

It needs an new APIM. The dealer went back to Ford and got it covered under warranty. We should have the car tomorrow. So, hopefully a happy ending.

Quick Update:

It needs an new APIM. The dealer went back to Ford and got it covered under warranty. We should have the car tomorrow. So, hopefully a happy ending.

We got the Explorer back yesterday - New APIM - works great. Nice to see the $0.00 repair bill !!! Thanks go out to the dealer for going to bat for us with Ford to get it covered under warranty. :cool:

Back