need a little help Ford Ranger A4LD Automatic Transmission o/d | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need a little help Ford Ranger A4LD Automatic Transmission o/d

spider-web

Reaction score
City, State
clarksburg wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 ford ranger xlt 4x4
i have a 1990 ford ranger im haveing to dill with no o/d 55 mph and 2900 rpm i just want to see if theres ne thing i could do to fix it thx im new at working on trucks and ived looked for the o/d pluge and dont now what im looking forb if some one have pic or expod for it it would help a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will Replace a vacuum modulator on an A4LD make my o/d work ?

Is it no O/D or no torque converter lock up?

Drive at a steady 45 or 50 mph and tap the brakes, I think the rpm should increase if when the torque converter unlocks. (Its been awhile, rpm should change anyway)

I had the same problem a few years ago and it was the speed sensor that was the culprit. Replaced the speed sensor and was as good as new.

ok ill try that but as i said im new at working on car/trucks is there a pic of it or where it is so i can find it easer

Should be on the tail housing of your transfer case, near where the rear drive shaft is. It will have the speedo cable and a couple wires going to it.

Just remember its been there for 20yrs, it prolly wont wanna come out very easily.

Does your cruise control work? What about the ABS system? If both of them work, then it's not the VSS. Do you have a check engine light? The computer gets readings from sensors such as the TPS, VSS or the MAF sensor to determine when to shift into overdrive. Do you have stock tires or larger diameter tires? Changing the tire size will require changing the gear on the VSS to keep everything calibrated correctly.

check engine light dose come on after about 10 min of driving and the abs dose work and the cruise dose work as well and the vacuum madulator dosnt have ne tran fluid in it im just gitting tired of drive 55 mph with 3200/3900 rpm

Check the overdrive servo, band, and solenoid. Try to adjust the bands before replacing any parts. I would suggest reading the sticky threads on the top of the transmission section. There is a band adjustment chart, A4LD rebuild diary, and an A4LD valve body rebuild diary.

How did you make out?

Back