Need advice is this frame cracked? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice is this frame cracked?

Danicafreak

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericton
Year, Model & Trim Level
Potential purchase 2008
Doesn’t look cracked to me but I’m not an expert

4BE2AE8A-2228-49B3-BA93-A2BC2DE5F1E3.png 5D8DC6BF-64FB-4442-A65B-5220E5F1AEDB.jpeg A8A4B2B3-4FB4-4769-8682-394E82570D61.jpeg 1C98DF92-E717-4320-BB16-9376DE0CC446.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That rust is bad, I can hear it rusting looking at the pictures. I don't see any cracks in the pictures but what concerns me is the layers of rust flakes that could be peeled off the frame and around the body mounts.

That rust is bad, I can hear it rusting looking at the pictures. I don't see any cracks in the pictures but what concerns me is the layers of rust flakes that could be peeled off the frame and around the body mounts.
Thanks josh. I’m gonna look at a good undercoating after purchase

Undercoating will mostly trap moisture and rust.

I would not see undercoating this frame as helpful. Too much rust already.

Good luck.

If I bought a truck with a frame like this, I would buy it as an absolute beater. Then drive it till it won’t roll. But I do not live in Canada. Maybe travel to Texas for purchase?

Mr alligator has good advice, find something outside the rust belt. Phoenix, el paso, Dallas, san antonio craigslist has several similar explorers for sale in the same price range that will be rust free. I'd buy one of those and undercoat it.

Plenty of places WAY north of Texas to get a good rust free vehicle. You can get cleaner vehicles in Canada. That one looks like it was never washed underneath. I’d consider that a 3-5 year car. Drive it until the first major issue, then dump it.

Is it a V6 or a V8? How many miles? It looks bad either way - but I'd look closer if it was a V8 and just pass it by if it was a high mileage V6.

Thanks josh. I’m gonna look at a good undercoating after purchase
Undercoating will only accelerate the vehicle's demise. The coating will trap road salt and cover nuts, bolts etc. and make future repairs miserable to complete. It is about the worst thing you can do to a vehicle that sees road salt. If you do anything have a thorough application of Fluid Film applied by a competent shop. Doing this every two years will be the best thing you can do to prevent whatever you buy from becoming a bucket of rust.

Theoretically
The frame could be sand blasted ,primered and recoated.but it will cost like the whole unrusted one

Undercoating will only accelerate the vehicle's demise. The coating will trap road salt and cover nuts, bolts etc. and make future repairs miserable to complete. It is about the worst thing you can do to a vehicle that sees road salt. If you do anything have a thorough application of Fluid Film applied by a competent shop. Doing this every two years will be the best thing you can do to prevent whatever you buy from becoming a bucket of rust.
Thanks so much for the great advice!

Plenty of places WAY north of Texas to get a good rust free vehicle. You can get cleaner vehicles in Canada. That one looks like it was never washed underneath. I’d consider that a 3-5 year car. Drive it until the first major issue, then dump it.
Truck has 160,000 miles so if I got 5 years I’d be happy. Weird that the body has no rust. Maybe it had a body job

I’d plan on a dirty gritty weekend when it gets warm. I’d use a heavy wire wheel and a flap disk and break all of the scale loose, and then I’d use a quality rust converter to slow down the rust that’s going on. If you did a decent rust conversion and used a quality top coat you could make that rusty frame last the rest of its functional life.

Before buying I’d have an extra look at the body mounts.

I’d also make sure I understood the risks with the SOHC motors (if it is indeed the 4.0 V6).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d plan on a dirty gritty weekend when it gets warm. I’d use a heavy wire wheel and a flap disk and break all of the scale loose, and then I’d use a quality rust converter to slow down the rust that’s going on. If you did a decent rust conversion and used a quality top coat you could make that rusty frame last the rest of its functional life.

Before buying I’d have an extra look at the body mounts.

I’d also make sure I understood the risks with the SOHC motors (if it is indeed the 4.0 V6).
Excellent! I love getting dirty! What topcoat on a rust converter should be used? Also since it is a v6 I thought fords v6s were pretty stout.

Back