Need advice on stability for my 4"/5.5" lift kit I bought | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on stability for my 4"/5.5" lift kit I bought

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
I've researched this a whole lot, and still need some info.

I recently bought a complete BDA (Trailmaster) 4" lift, the guy I bought it from used as a 4" lift at first and then 5.5" by going SOA and adding spacers in the front. According to him, alignment was within specs for both lift heights, with the front axle he gave me, He also gave me the 8.8 with the new perches welded on it as well as new shock mounts on the axle tube. he also gave me new leaf spring packs he had built for the rear. I'm also replacing all the bushings on the truck.

The thing is, I'd like to know if it would be a whole lot more unstable if I went to 5.5" right away or is it similar to 4". Also I'm going to stay with 31"X10.5 tires till at least next summer, is that going to affect stability in a negative way?? Also would going to a 15X8 rim 3.75 BS help with stability. Or am I just worrying for no reason. I drive the limit and am cautious of driving conditions and stuff. This is and will remain my daily driver, trails on the weekend.

I'd like your thoughts on this, as the lift is eating away at me, I'm dying to install it, but want to do it right. I know its not gonna handle like stock, but it sure is gonna handle better than it did with all the bushings and springs shot.

Thanx a lot :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either height will be fine. It's going to look funny with 31s on it but it will work fine. If you want you can extend your sway bar links so you can keep using them. I had the Trail Master 4" on my old Explorer with 35s and no sway bars and it was "stable". Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, and yes I'm gonna use extended front swaybars, don't know about the rear yet. hehe I'm also hoping to curb rust by going up, I figure that being 5.5 inches of the ground should reduce the amount of slush that cakes the bottom of the truck in winter.

Also, keep those suggestions coming everybody :D

Minivek said:
Thanks for the tip, and yes I'm gonna use extended front swaybars, don't know about the rear yet. hehe I'm also hoping to curb rust by going up, I figure that being 5.5 inches of the ground should reduce the amount of slush that cakes the bottom of the truck in winter.

Also, keep those suggestions coming everybody :D

man i would not worry about it. i ran extended swaybars on the front and mine was suprizingly siff. youll be fine with just the front. i never tried it without them and im sure it would be fine that way too.

ttt

also how, is keeping the 31x10.5 for a while (like 8 more months) gonna make it real tippy? I'm thinking about getting 15X8 3.75 Bs wheels, how much wider will that make my stance?? Basically, I'm interested in knowing what to expect and what to do and stuff.

if you are worried, get some 10" wide rims, and some cheap 33s from the craigslist or som other classifieds, and be done with it. I personally love my wider rims, and it puts a nice pad on the ground. 97 V8 might chime in too on that.

I agree, if your worried go wider. Sounds like your not going to get yourself in an awkward angle, but sometimes things happen. Below is something about raising the Center of Gravity in proportion to rolling over :eek: This I posted in the B11 forum. And I have layed a B11 and Landcruiser over.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168057

Wider is better, and get some 33's. 31's are gonna look like toys.

I have no swapbars on mine with 5,5" lift and 3" BL, i have no qualms driving it anywhere on any road, but everyone else is scared to leave the driveway in it. its just an aquired thing I guess, dosent bother me.

Back