Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a couple pics of my secondary cats and where I think it would be easiest to install cutouts.

Attachments

• IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,622
  • IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,620

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well its good to know that everything is going good with peoples supercharging... I too finally got some things fixed... got me a push in valve cover cap that makes clearance from the upper intake manifold. Fix an exhaust leak that appeared after getting my tranny rebuilt (burnt out the 3-4 clutch), I now have a stage 1 shift kit. Got my belt squealing problem solved... had to add a pulley before the charger....

But sometimes bad things happen... I broke my foot at work, so now I cant do anything for the time being...

Well its good to know that everything is going good with peoples supercharging... I too finally got some things fixed... got me a push in valve cover cap that makes clearance from the upper intake manifold. Fix an exhaust leak that appeared after getting my tranny rebuilt (burnt out the 3-4 clutch), I now have a stage 1 shift kit. Got my belt squealing problem solved... had to add a pulley before the charger....

But sometimes bad things happen... I broke my foot at work, so now I cant do anything for the time being...

Sorry about the foot. My friend at work who was helping me with my install broke his heel. He was out of commision for over 2 months. Burned all his sick leave.
I didnt feel comfortable doing the work myself...and I'm a full time mechanic, only thats on airplanes. So I really havent made much progress on my build. Now that my friend is all "HEEL"ed i'm hoping to get things moving.
Boxes of parts are ready to install. Money is tight but at this point I need to finish this.
Question... Wont a tune control my shift points and firmness or do I need a shift kit? I know after a shift kit install there is no turning back so I dont want to end up with a harsh shifting tranny that I will regret.

Decided to reinstall my fan shroud with the electric fan. Just need to do a little surgery. This is a good time to do it. Predicted temp is 105 today. It was 103 yesterday and the truck ran fine. Just a little warmer but still in the safe range. Thought I would try it with the shroud to see if it makes any difference. If not I would prefer to run without it. So much easier to work on the engine with it out of the way.
Going to do the shroud this morning before the heat builds and then hole up in the house with the A/C. 105 is too damn hot for me.
Man I lead an exciting life!!

Yeah,

It's an engine tick. This shop owner has been building engines from stock rebuilds to full race for many years. I asked him when I took it to him if it could be an exhaust leak. He could feel a vibration that I could'nt, hence the balancing of my aftermarket harmonic balancer. He also said the tick was not an exhaust leak. Just normal wear on a high mileage engine. I have a few bottles of STP oil treatment lying around and thought about trying that. I have a fairly fresh oil change so I thought I would wait until my next one.
Note: It could be my hearing but I dont seem to hear it all the time. At higher RPM's I cant hear it but that could just be the exhuast noise drowning it out. Most noticeable at idle..when I hear it if that makes sense.:rolleyes:

How many miles are on it? I probably missed that somewhere along the line.

Question... Wont a tune control my shift points and firmness or do I need a shift kit? I know after a shift kit install there is no turning back so I dont want to end up with a harsh shifting tranny that I will regret.

Decided to reinstall my fan shroud with the electric fan. Just need to do a little surgery. This is a good time to do it. Predicted temp is 105 today. It was 103 yesterday and the truck ran fine.

Both you can do a shift kit to help it several out there can read forum to find one most use, but you can also change the shift points and firmness from the computer tune. James Henson on here does that a ton for the forum members when he tunes their trucks to. So there is kinda two ways to do it, but from what I know you have to know kinda the tranny tune to do it through the computer, and James does.

Also its 109 here today and was 111 yesterday! Way to D*** hot. I work outside so its brutal.

The VB kits are not nearly as important with the 4R70W as with the V6 trans. Do the PCM tune last in any case, meaning don't do a tune, and then put in a shift kit. That would mess up what the flasher did, and you would have to do that again.

How many miles are on it? I probably missed that somewhere along the line.

Just turned 172K but I keep it overly maintained.

Installed my fan shroud and in this 100+ deg heat it was getting pretty warm. And the fan was making noise. Thought to myself..what have I done!

Brilliant me reversed the power leads on the fan.

Once I straightened that out it keeps the truck cool and the noise went away. Is'nt it good to know people like me maintain the airplanes your families fly on?;)

The guy that did my tranny told me there were 2 ways to adjust the engagement, one can be undone the other cannot. He couldnt adjust it through my cars computer because its a 97 computer with 98 programing (from factory).
He did a mild engagement on the shift and said he could make it harsher if id like, but right now it seems fine and after the break in point (200 more miles to go) i will be able to push the truck harder to test out the shifting.

I think the shift points and shift harshness can only be controlled so much though the computer and then if you need more then you go to upgrading.

With the SCT flash it engaged harsher but it didnt shift any faster... but with the shift kit i noticed the quicker shifting right away along with a slightly harsher engagement (with the SCT tune). But once again I have not pushed the truck and tested it to see if at WOT it shifts quicker than it used to... I used to have a bad delay between shifts and Im hoping they will be gone now.

Just a quick update.

I've been working in Canada for the last few months. Not much time to work on the EX. I need a couple more days to finish my front end rebuild. I am replacing pretty much everything except the half shafts and tie rod ends.
My plan is to take a week off in October and do the blower install. My friend who has done one before on his Dakota will be able to help me with that.

I am pretty well set. I have all the parts and a tune to get me to the dyno.Cant wait.
Did some playing around today. 0-80MPH 10.8sec accordingto my GPS. Not stellar for a 2 ton brick but not bad for normally aspirated.
I plan on improving that with a 6lb pulley on the S/C. I also have a 9lb if I want go that route.
My goal was a 14 sec 1/4 but maybe, just maybe I can break into the 13s.
Might blow the motor in the process but then that just gives me more ammunition with my wife who keeps saying all I do is pour money into my rig.:)

Well I found some time to work on the Ex. Changed the rear shocks that have been sitting around forever. I noticed when I was pulling the drivers side rear shock that there was I skid plate that I removed to access the upper shock mount. Needless to say when i lower the skid plate these boxes were mounted to it. There is two what appear to be vacuum? hoses and an electrical connector. I have no clue what these are. Does anyone know what they are?
Heres a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 985

Those are your charcoal canisters. They are part of your emissions system. They vent gas fumes out of the gas tank through the charcoal/carbon filter media, and it is then vented into your intake tract, and burned internally, as opposed to being vented into the atmosphere.

The Electrical connections control the valve and release the gas fumes when they are opened.

Ryan

Those are your charcoal canisters. They are part of your emissions system. They vent gas fumes out of the gas tank through the charcoal/carbon filter media, and it is then vented into your intake tract, and burned internally, as opposed to being vented into the atmosphere.

The Electrical connections control the valve and release the gas fumes when they are opened.

Ryan

Do these ever need to be changed? Or am I good to go as long as the truck passes emissions.

You are good with them as is. They aren't a maintenance item that needs to be worried about. In fact, I have only heard of 1 or 2 of them ever needing replacement. And I can't recall the facts surrounding their need for replacement....but it is VERY rare to service that part.

Ryan

You are good with them as is. They aren't a maintenance item that needs to be worried about. In fact, I have only heard of 1 or 2 of them ever needing replacement. And I can't recall the facts surrounding their need for replacement....but it is VERY rare to service that part.

Ryan

I had to replace mine after a deep fording experience. They threw a code. I snagged another set from a junk yard for $20 after finding out they were $50 each to replace. Haven't had a problem since.

So I went thru DEQ today to get my new tags. I passed easily and reading from the Washington state Dep of licensing, we have adopted the same emission standards as California. Except they dont look under the hood or underneath the truck.
Anyway when I got home I had these exhaust cutouts at my door. I have two of them. Also have electric cutouts so I can operate them in the truck.
They are on backorder and wont ship until the 5th.
I decided to go this route rather then duals do to space issues.
This is a sleeper truck and going out a single tailpipe keeps it somewhat unoticeable. Until you uncap the headers.
The rear cats will have to go to make room for these.
Hopefully soon I can get my friend to help me finish the supercharger install.
I did send the head unit out for better bearings(higher speed and temps) and had the impeller shimmed for a closer tolerance. They claim 1 PSI of additional boost without going with a smaller pulley.
I guess I will find out.
Will post pics of the electric cutouts when they arrive.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 725

No replies about the exhaust cutouts...
Is anyone else running them and what, besides noise, can I expect out of them?
Any performance gains or am I throwing money down the toilet.

I think they'll help with the supercharger. N/A you'll probably gain HP but might lose some down low torque.

I've been thinking about adding one right after the turbo on mine. :thumbsup:

I am not an automatic transmission guy. Dont know much about them and have never really tried to figure them out. I do know that my 4R70W has had torque converter shudder for the couple years I've had it.
My band aid has been to add a tube of Dr Tranny Instant Torque Converter Shudder Eliminator. This stuff does work. It lasts me about 3 months before the symptom starts coming back. I felt it shuddering on occasion yesterday so it's time for another tube.
I went full synthetic fluid hoping that might heal the problem, but it did'nt.
Other then the TC shudder the tranny has performed flawless. It shifts nice and doesnt leak a drop. The fluid has always been clean when changed. It is high mileage(I think, but I have no maintenance records on the truck prior to me taking ownership).
My question is...Is TC shudder caused only by the torque converter or could it be caused by something else that might be fixable without pulling the transmission?
I,m fine with my band aid fix and really would only pull it if much more severe symptoms cropped up.
Just throwing this question out for those who have experienced my symptom.

That kind of shudder is supposed to be from the older fluid types including Mercon. But other things do make similar symptoms, so don't assume its all in the fluid/TC. I'd make plans to do some VB work and change the accumulators and EPC, shift solenoids. I've got those parts that I don't need, someone sent me the wrong year of a couple parts, and I went after a late 4R75W EPC.

That kind of shudder is supposed to be from the older fluid types including Mercon. But other things do make similar symptoms, so don't assume its all in the fluid/TC. I'd make plans to do some VB work and change the accumulators and EPC, shift solenoids. I've got those parts that I don't need, someone sent me the wrong year of a couple parts, and I went after a late 4R75W EPC.

I was'nt making assumptions, just asking a question. I am running Mercon 5.It is actually a synthetic blend, so I am ruling out fluid type. The valve body upgrade was something I have considered, but wanted to make sure that there wasnt any underlying problems. I dont think there is. From my manual transmission experience it either works or does'nt work.
Do you have parts that your not going to use that would work on a '96 4R70W AWD. ? I would be willing to negotiate with you. Depending on what you have.
I know what its like to have a bunch of perfectly good parts that I cant use.

Back