• Register Today It's free!

Need AWD Information

Maverick73

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT
I'm still looking around for a Explorer/Mountaineer. I have come across 2 99 Mountaineers 5.0L V8 AWD. Most of the 5.0 XLT Explorers/Mountaineers I find are AWD instead of 2WD. I just wanted to get some info about the AWD, whats the pros and cons of it. Should I get one of these Mountaineers if they turn out to be good. Or should I hold out for a 2WD 5.0L V8.

Thanks

BTW, both are 99 Mountaineers 5.0L AWD.

One has 105,000 miles for $3200.

2nd has 68,000 miles for $4900 OBO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those sound like good deals to me.

The awd is a fine set up for street use.
Just be sure to keep the tires rotated and matched. The awd transfer case doesn't like to see rotational speed differences, which makes it try to lock in more drive to the front.

Those sound like good deals to me.

The awd is a fine set up for street use.
Just be sure to keep the tires rotated and matched. The awd transfer case doesn't like to see rotational speed differences, which makes it try to lock in more drive to the front.

Thanks for the info. Here's a picture of what one of them looks like. I don't have the pictures of the other one yet. What's your opinion on this color combo. The other one might be the same color, from the description. This is not the vehicle itself, just one that has the same color combo/wheels. I've been looking for Green or blue preferably.

Attachments

• Mountaineer2.jpg
    Mountaineer2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 253

I'm still looking around for a Explorer/Mountaineer. I have come across 2 99 Mountaineers 5.0L V8 AWD. Most of the 5.0 XLT Explorers/Mountaineers I find are AWD instead of 2WD. I just wanted to get some info about the AWD, whats the pros and cons of it. Should I get one of these Mountaineers if they turn out to be good. Or should I hold out for a 2WD 5.0L V8.

Thanks

BTW, both are 99 Mountaineers 5.0L AWD.

One has 105,000 miles for $3200.

2nd has 68,000 miles for $4900 OBO.

Probably a moot point, but if you are very safety minded here is something to think about...one big pro hidden about the 4wd/AWD units are the fact that they are documented statistically safest for rollover. There are few passenger cars that have higher Rollover rates according to IIHS tables. I don't have the link but you can search on the website (I think it is the 2000 report).

The rollover(and overall) rates rank lowest for 4dr 4wd, next 4 dr 2wd, then 2 dr 4wd, and one of the worst statistically for rollover is a 2wd sport. The ranks numbers are approx (50, 100, 150, 220) respectively. The extra weight of the xfer case and diff, along with the longer wheelbase definately gives some advantage.

I like the color-

Let's see the other one if you can.

The seller was supposed to take pictures of it today, and email them to me. I hope they arrive soon.

After talking with the mechanic today. I will probably be holding out for a 5.0L 2WD. Because of less maintenance costs, and better fuel mileage. And like he said you don't need AWD in Florida. Hopefully something good comes along in my price range. I have been looking for atleast 2 or 3 months now, I'm geting tired of looking.

No need to hold off if you loke them... There's maybe a 1mpg difference in the mileage (if that), and the maintenance costs are minimally more... Worst case, you've got to do front bearings ($300 for the set instead of $35-$40), and you need to change the diff and transfer case lubes once every 100,000... That's not a very big deal in my book for the added convenience if you happen to find a slippery boat launch ramp or venture north into the snow belt once...

-Joe

Back