need engine/tranny help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need engine/tranny help

66 mustang with a c4 auto tranny

ok, so got a rebuilt engine, got the old engine out. tried to install engine with torque converter on flywheel cuz I didn't know better. find out that's wrong, pull engine. install torque converter with what I thought was the 3 clicks. reinstall engine. notice that tranny bolts are getting too tight and see that the torque converter bolt is pushing against the plate between the engine and tranny. NOW the torque converter will not go on or come off!! any ideas or assistace would be great. I have tomorrow night to get this thing in to race saturday. if that doesn't happen then I'll have to wait til the next time. I do not wanna take it in. I need to learn to do this by myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it sounds like the torque convertor didn't go on all the way. I'm assuming when you tightened the tranny bolts to the engine it put the convertor in a bind. I hate to say but the only way, if you can't get the torque convertor to move, is to pull the engine back out and get the convertor on right. Double check you have the right convertor.

You may try and move the engine forward and see if you can work the torque convertor lose, but me personally, I'd like to see if any damage may of occured forcing the convertor on.

This is just what it sounds like to me.

engines out. tried everything including prying the torque converter. it will not come out at all.

The recommendation is to try and gently wiggle it free. It took a lot of force to get it where it is so it may take a lot of force to get it back out. Try wiggling gently apply more pressure; do different things. If you can just get it to move slightly at first to try and feel what's going on. Maybe some light taps with a rubber hammer but be careful cuss you don't want to mess anything else up in the tranny. (Don't go swinging with all your might just yet.)

If it's already THAT stuck, it's too late to try and 'fix it' by Saturday.

Find someone with a Porta-Power and push them apart. Rebuild from there.

Was that the #'s matching trans? (well, as #'s matching as a 1966 Mustang can be verified these days)

Ryan

hahaha, #'s matching is a joke as far as I'm concerned. the 65's and 66's are the most common mustang years. not only that but I don't care for #'s matching BS. this is my car and I mod as I choose! HAHAHA it's been in so many accidents, driven thru so many winters.............all new stiff as heck suspension, 3rd motor is going in, fist motor lasted almost 90k, 2nd motor over 100k almost 200k on the body, no clue about how many times the tranny haas been rebuilt but it's 3 since I've owned it.

we got the converter off by attaching a chain by 2 of the bolts of the converter to a comealong on the front of the frame. now it doesn't go back in very well. any input as to why that is?

You more than likely damaged it. Look for burrs first and remove them if found.

It's really hard to say over the internet what the problem is so our advice is probably not going to help much.

Where did you get this convertor?

Back