Need help !! 1999 explorer v8 fuel filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help !! 1999 explorer v8 fuel filter

jeffgoldentee

Reaction score
City, State
DENHAM SPRINGS LOUISIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer V8 5.0
WELL HELLO AGAIN!! IT HAS BEEN QUITE SOME TIME SINCE I NEEDED YOUR HELP, HOWEVER, WHEN I AM STUCK OR STUMPED, I ALWAYS KNOW WHERE TO TURN AND WHO TO ASK......

OK THIS MAY SOUND QUITE SIMPLE TO SOME OF YOU BUT TO ME ITS A COMPLICATED MESS...

I HAVE A 1999 FORD EXPLORER V8 5.0 AND I NEED SOMEONE TO SEND ME A DIAGRAM OR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. IF I GET INSTRUCTIONS WITH NO PICS OR DIAGRAM, THEN PLEASE BE VERY ELEMENTARY WHEN YOU GO TO NAMING CERTAIN PARTS BC I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT SOME ARE AND NO IDEA ON OTHERS......THANKS

DIY I JUST CANT AFFORD TO BRING IT TO A SHOP

GOD BLESS THE USA

:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you've never done this job before, it can be a total PITA the first time you do it. took me 1.5 hours + over 2 days the first time i did one. now i can change one in minutes. you need the right tool, experience and finesse to do the job. i suggest you get a decent set of METAL (not plastic) line disconnect tools. you will need the 5/16 size for the fuel filter. i bought a set at AutoZone for about $20 and they work great for me.

the fuel filter is located on the left frame rail kind of under your left foot. it snaps into a metal spring-clip on the frame. with the engine running, pull the fuel pump relay, or trip the inertia switch, to release the fuel pressure in the fuel line. the engine will then stall. the fuel lines are locked in place, on the filter, with 2 stainless steel spring clips, which must be unhooked before the next steps (i find it easiest to remove these clips to get them out of my way, then re-install them when done). often the quick-disconnect (what a joke) spring clips get clogged with dirt and rust and don't want to release. in order for the spring clips to release, you must be able to push the fuel line into the filter a bit. if you can't do this, you will not be able to get the old filter off. spray WD40 or brake/parts cleaner into the fitting to help lube it and flush out any dirt. once the fuel line will move in/out fairly easily, put the 5/16 disconnect tool into the end of the filter, push the line in and push the disconnect tool in all at the same time (not the easiest thing to do, but it can be done). you may find it easier to leave the filter in its retainer while releasing the fuel line, as it acts like an extra hand. while the tool is fully inserted, pull the line out of the filter. i find using a pair of pliers behind the tool helps to get it fully inserted. sometimes it helps to rotate the tool around too. repeat for the other end. some gas will spill, so have something handy to catch it in.

installation is easy, just push the fuel line into the filter until it clicks and locks into place. there is an arrow on the filter to make sure you install it facing in the right direction. lastly, re-install the 2 stainless steel retainers and replace the fuel pump relay (or reset the inertia switch). before you start the engine for the first time, turn the key on/off 4-5 times. this will prime the fuel system.

if you've managed to do this job, next time will be much easier. just for fun try to blow through the old filter. you'll probably be surprised how clogged it was. it's recommended you change this filter every 30k.

Great instructions, koda! Your writeup should go into the sticky section.
I do this so infrequently that each time I can't remember what I learned the previous time, and it becomes PITA again. So just a minor comment:
Turning the tool around is what dislodges the dirt and rust and makes the whole operation possible. In my case there was not enough room to do so, and I found that turning the filter around is quite effective. As koda mentioned, the filter has to be pried out of that hefty spring clip first.

... the fuel lines are locked in place, on the filter, with 2 stainless steel spring clips, which must be unhooked before the next steps (i find it easiest to remove these clips to get them out of my way, then re-install them when done)....

Thank you !!

Your reply was great to say the least!! Thank you all who helped me get this pita out of the way. New one installed and all is good. Thank you

Back