Need help diagnosising AC issue (w/video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help diagnosising AC issue (w/video)

utayogi

Reaction score
City, State
DFW & Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer V8
Howdy,
I need some help diagnosing an issue with my AC system. Couldn't find the info I needed to 100% diagnose the problem here, on other forums or online. So asking for yall's help once again.

My air conditioning will blow super cold for about 10-15 minutes after the car is first started up, assuming the car has been sitting for several hours. Then the air becomes ambient temperature, and the compressor cycles for a second, shuts off then cycles again for a second. I've included a link to a video on the bottom of this post that shows the clutch activity. The system is charged (I recharged the system as soon as the air got hot assuming that was the problem) but there was plenty of pressure considering it's never been recharged in 13 years, so all I did was top it off. As far as I can tell there is no coolant leaks of any kind. Around the same time the air blows hot and the clutch cycles on/off constantly you start to detect a smell of what I would call like brakes, or stick shift clutch, just not as pronounced a smell. Additionally when this problem first started a metalish rattling sound started too that does not increase with an increase in RPM. Also, I wasn't able to capture it on video, but when I shut the AC off a slight metal on metal type spark came from the compressor area, and there also appears to be shiny metal scrapings on the area just below the AC clutch.

So with all this and my research I'm assuming it's the AC clutch. But it's not much more than a strong guess. I can fix anything, but diagnosis is another story for me. So anyone that can help me out with the diagnosis and just as importantly a how-to (I'd love you forever if it had pictures) on how to fix this would be awesome. On the sob, feel bad for me front. Really just need the help because I can't afford to have the work done by anyone other than myself right now, can't afford another car (at least something reliable), and I'm fixing to start a job that I have to wear a suit and tie every day, and well with 90-105 degrees and humidity, no AC isn't an option.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!
The video of my AC clutch is the link below

Engine smoking out hot air is the sign of compressor malfunctioning as well as thermostat and furnace parts failure. I suggest you to hire air conditioning port st lucie professional technicians for repairing it.

Sounds like you've got too much refrigerant in the system. That's causing the high pressure switch to cycle the compressor and is stressing the a/c clutch.

Probably best to get a set of high and low pressure gauges on the system to be able to really get a good idea of what is happening in the system.

Back