Need help from the Pro's, so I have come here on 5R55E issues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help from the Pro's, so I have come here on 5R55E issues...

Archery720

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4
Hello there please bear with me a little cause I am still new at all the shorthand for tranny talk. But here is my situation...

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger, 4.0l, with the 5R55E transmission. About 2 weeks ago it started winding first gear to like 3400 rpm's before it would shift to second gear for only about 1 second and then shifting to third. The rest of the shifts were all smooth and on time. After 4-5 miles it would throw a code and the O/D light would flash. I, fearing the worst did a pan drop fluid change and a filter. It did not help same symptoms. I brought it to a local tranny shop with an awesome reputation they scanned it and said "Faulty 3 gear ratio" they looked it up on "trans-tech" I think, and told me it was a valve body gasket. They quoted me $650 to do it, including a Transgo SK Kit. I did some research on this site read the VB rebuild diary and proceeded to swap the gaskets and install the kit myself. The gasket was severly damaged in the corner by the 4 solenoids. Once the gaskets were swapped and the kit in we test drove it about a mile at first, then 5 miles. It didn't solve any problems, all the symptoms were still present. I had decided to drive it about 30 miles round trip to see if any other symptoms would present to help diagnose it. I drove to the destination and put it in park, shut off the motor and went inside for a family party. 4 Hours later fired it up and I only have park and reverse, no drive, no low, no 4x4 high drive, no 4x4 low drive, nothing. I had it towed back to the reputable shop who looked at it and said it's nothing in the lower end and that it would be at least $1200-2000 to take the tran out and look at it. But that would be a rebuild. I asked whether I screwed up the install on the kit and they said no it looked perfect.

I have found a used trans in TX for $750 shipped, however I am in Michigan and that is a long way to ship one. So can I find a used 5R55E cheaper? Plus you never know what you are getting with a used trans. The local mechanic will put it in for about $250, but are they that hard? I have quite a bit of automotive experience with brakes, suspension, head gaskets, valves, etc.

So I am wondering; How can it just go caput like that, there was no grinding, clunking, whining, no anything. Does this make sense to any of you guys? Are those prices even close to fair or am I padding their wallets?

What engine, SOHC or OHV 4.0L? I assume that because you used the transgo correction kit you did not use the Ford TSB bonded gasket separator plate for your model or over pressure relief kit. How much of the VB did you pull apart? You could have blown gasket material stuck in one of the other VB spools. Did you check the band torque settings?

On the engine....I will get back to you. It's still at the tranny shop, and I can't picture it, or remember which one it is. Pretty sure it is OHV

I did not use the Ford plate with bonded gaskets. I only pulled out two small aluminum pieces one with a ball type valve and one a plug on the VB and replaced the springs in them.

The blown gasket material idea may be it since I didn't find much of the missing gasket parts.

Did not check band torque settings, don't even know how.

Welcome to this forum! # 4, and # 5 in my list of useful threads has information on how to adjust the bands. I don't believe that these guys double checked your work on the valve body. They would have to rip the whole valve body apart to check it thoroughly. You could purchase a valve body from WWW.800700Tran.Com. Do you know what the error code numbers are?

Back