• Register Today It's free!

5R55E issues revisited

Gregc99XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Brookville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLS
Posted here a while back about my 5R55E issues. I've now put about 500 miles on the explorer. Everything seems to be working well except I have no 1st gear. All other gears work when I shift to them manually. If I shift to 1st gear the vehicle will sit and the engine will load a bit. It won't move when I accelerate and feels just like I held the brake to the floor at the same time like its being held back. Now if I start off in drive everything is fine but on hills it lacks the lower gearing without being able to downshift. Overdrive light flashes from time to time. Reverse works great now.

My original problem was delayed reverse and losing reverse when it warmed up. What I did was installed a Sonnax zip kit, and all new solenoids. I did not use a bonded separator plate. After I put the trans back together I had gotten reverse back but lost 1st. I'm assuming the separator gaskets became misaligned when I put it together? What I'm going to do is get the bonded plate 1L5Z-7Z490-GA and 3L5Z-7M203-JA pressure relief valve and a new solenoid bracket. Hopefully this will do the job. I've been happy with it aside from having no first, that seems to be the only issue with it so far.

It sounds like a cross leak in the low fluid circuit, when you select low, fluid is bleeding over into another circuit and applying something else and it binds.

Make sure the retainers, end plugs, and valves are installed correctly. Also check the center support bolt in the case, sometimes I find them not so tight...

Hopefully the plate will fix it.

Hey that sounds like it! I'm mechanically inclined but this stuff is a first for me. I think I get what you're saying, it does bind up like you can feel the pressure there but it holds it from moving instead. Thanks, I'll get the plate and check everything over real good.

Ok finally got the Ford bonded separator plate and relief valve kit. Installed them and still the same, no first. I rechecked the valve body and couldn't find anything wrong. When in first if I push the O/D off button it will start to move but bind up and stop after a few feet. Could this be an electronic issue or still a pressure leakage issue? Since I can't read the codes myself I think I'll take it to a shop and see if they can figure it out. I'm about out of ideas to try doing myself.

Back