• Register Today It's free!

need help with 5'' monster tach

dcookxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Marble Hill, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford explorer sport
just got a 5'' monster tach and ran the power and ground and illumination wire. but i cant figure out were the other wire goes. its supposed to go to a distributer wire but this is a distributerless motor. its in a 96 ford explorer 4.0. anyone know how to do this without a tach adapter?

yea it can be done without the Tach adapter but you have to pull out the cluster and tap the tach wire going to the cluster.

if you search around here you may be able to find a wiring diagram of the dash and locate what number it is.

or another way is to remove the cluster and unplug the plugs start the motor and start probing each contact till you find the one pulsing in time with the engine and that's you tach lead.

theres 4 wires coming off the coil and i was wondering which one was the one that is the sending one.

I did gauges on a 4.0 OHV but I'd assume it has the same test port. It can be found right around here, I cut off a plastic white plug about the size of a tube of chapstick.
IMGA0052.jpg

full description is here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216599

Back