• Register Today It's free!

need some 5r55e help.

stanglover

Reaction score
City, State
portland, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ranger stx
My 97 ranger ext. cab has 87,000 miles on it and is ready for transmission number 2 already. According to Ford and the transmission code on the door it is a 5r55e. First tranny shop removed tag at 40,000 miles when the original rebuild happened . I tore the valvebody down and a whole new group of problems arose. I want to just replace with a used transmission but i am having trouble locating one for the pushrod 4.0 motor my ranger has. if anyone can tell me how to tell if it has an overdrive drum sensor it wound be appreciated. My truck hasn't been babied but it shouldn't be ready for tranny #2!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

87,000 miles on transmission #2???!!! No way!!! Someone is missing something with the rebuild, somehow, some way. My brother has 150,000 on the original 5R55E now and my dad has a hundred and something on his. Mine went out at like 95,000 but the previous owner towed beyond its capacity so I wasn't surprised.

What is the transmission doing? How does the fluid look? Have you considered changing out the valve body first?

The first trans. was rebuilt 100 miles before i bought the truck. I had changed the fluid at 60,000. The lock-up solenoid went out while hauling drywall (2000 lbs.) , it then began to slip. I could shut it off and it would take off great only to begin slipping 1 block later.(when i say slip, it quite moving !) Hopeing the filter was clogged i put the new solenoid in from ford while replacing the seperator plate gaskets knowing they were prone to blowing out. 300 dollars later it now will move in manual first with the ability to shift into manual second. it also is making a screech like it is broke. no reverse no drive. Also i have never seen all 5 gears in this truck. I didn't realize it was a 5r55e until having problems. apparently the gasket and filter are the same.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to identify whether or not my transmission has a " overdrive drum sensor" every scrapyard ask , but no one can tell me how to identify it. I am an ex-automotive tech and the local ford dealership's top tech (my best friend)says ford has never used that term to his knowlege. he recently recieved his certification in ford transmissions and he thinks that i just need to replace it due to tranny shop #1. (Typical dealership mentallity) I don't want to order the wrong transmission. I would rebuid it myself but the valvebody alone is obselete and $800.

Back