Need to disable a Keyless Entry Remote RKE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to disable a Keyless Entry Remote RKE

Reaction score
2001 Ford Explorer

To start off, we had one remote for keyless entry. That remote was lost yesterday, seems it fell off the keychain somehow. Since we can't find it I'd like to make sure that if someone does find it they won't be able to unlock the truck with it. How would I go about doing this? Is there a way to make it not work with the truck anymore?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead of disabling, just reprogram..

cycle iginition from off to run 8 times within 10 sec, ending in run, all doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode, press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. door locks will cycle(lock then unlock) to confirm programming. to program additional remotes - press any button on the next remote(upto 4 total possible) locks will cycle again. turn iginition off. locks will again cycle to indicate the end of the programming mode.

Instead of disabling, just reprogram..

cycle iginition from off to run 8 times within 10 sec, ending in run, all doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode, press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. door locks will cycle(lock then unlock) to confirm programming. to program additional remotes - press any button on the next remote(upto 4 total possible) locks will cycle again. turn iginition off. locks will again cycle to indicate the end of the programming mode.

Don't have another remote to reprogram with. I tried to get into programming mode but no success after 10+ attempts. I was hoping that by getting into programming mode and not syncing any remotes at all it would wipe out any previous remotes.

If the locks cycled while you did the 8 cycles of the ignition more than likely the remotes that were programmed previously are no longer valid.

yea if u make it think it got programmed to a new remote (cycle 8 times) old one wont be synced anymore

If the locks cycled while you did the 8 cycles of the ignition more than likely the remotes that were programmed previously are no longer valid.

The locks aren't cycling which is why I said I can't get into programming mode :(

or just unplug the RAP

Good call. Hadn't even thought about it. Unplugging will solve the problem until I get my hands on an alarm this week.

this could cause other issues, make sure you have a good hey to get back in

you shouldn't have any issues. i had this problem, but reverse this summer with a 00 sport i fixed up to sell. the key fob wouldn't work. thought the rap was blown, only to discover it was unplugged. plugged it in, all worked fine. the only thing will be is that if you have a key pad on your door, it wont work anymore.

you shouldn't have any issues. i had this problem, but reverse this summer with a 00 sport i fixed up to sell. the key fob wouldn't work. thought the rap was blown, only to discover it was unplugged. plugged it in, all worked fine. the only thing will be is that if you have a key pad on your door, it wont work anymore.

No keypad on the door. Thanks for the info! :)

Back