• Register Today It's free!

Need transfer case help

97 Greg

Reaction score
City, State
Enfield, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 97 mountaineer, 5.0 all wheel drive. My transfer case has been making clunking noises for a few weeks now, seems to be shot. i called a few local junkyards, and they want 450$ for a used awd transfer case, i also called about the berg and warner 4405 transfer case(for 250$) that came out
of the 4x4 explorers and im looking into doing the 4x4 swap, the only problem is im not sure about the wiring, and the modules, going from awd to electronic shift. if anyone has any information about this swap please let me know.

Thanks, Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay, thanks for the help. It does seem a little more complicated than i thought

Do you want to go off road, or just fix it?
The awd will never satisfy the off roading, however---

for a fix, you might just find it is actually the front drive shaft which is making the racket. Seriously, remove it, then look the boot over very closely for tears. Once removed I bet it will flop loosely, at the cv joint. This is the usual cause of noise.
rebuilding the transfer case is an option also--if the chain is broken or stretched

I just did the 4406 swap this past weekend. You will need a helper. It took me the better part of 2 days, but i feel its worth it. Rounding up the parts is half the battle!

If you are interested i have my old 4404 case and front driveshaft i am gonna be selling. Wait, you have a '97. Dont think it will work.

Back