Neutral Safety Switch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Neutral Safety Switch

Originally posted by sohowcome
I8u,

didn't you know you aren't a true explorer enthusiast till you roll one :p

-Zach

Come on.... I have to get some "enthusiast points" for totaling a camaro and convincing the owner to get an explorer sport to replace it.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by i8u
Come on.... I have to get some "enthusiast points" for totaling a camaro and convincing the owner to get an explorer sport to replace it.:D
ROFL!!!

at least he bought a ford :cool:

Ryan, IF when you're zapping the solenoid with a screwdriver you're jumping across the two big terminals, your problem is (99% chance) the solenoid. If you're crossing the big hot one to the little skinny one to start, then go to the neutral safety or possibly a wiring issue. When you turn the key to start, the voltage at the little wire on the solenoid should be the same as your batt. voltage, or at least within a couple tenths of a volt. One other thing, if your truck has or used to have an alarm system with a starter interupt, check that! It's usually a black plastic relay, usually mounted near the steering column under the dash. If the relay or the alarm has gone bad, it won't let the power get to the solenoid. Let me know what you find.

Yes Virginia, there is a safety interlock switch

Can't believe it took that many posts to get that question answered! The switch is just above the shift lever on the reansmission. This also controls the backup lights. Could be corrosion on connector or just a bad switch. Chances are the solenoid is fine. You can wire a little lamp to that little push in connector on the solenoid to ground as a test if the problem is intermitant.

Opera, is the safety interlock switch the same as the neutral safety switch?

Also if that is bad would it effect my reverse lights?
Could that be a way of checking?

Ryan

Same switch. I prefer calling it the pernundel switch. In some cases it would effect the back up lights.

Back