• Register Today It's free!

New 1993 Explorer

Paynetf

Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Limited
I just got a 1993 Ford Explorer Limited, it came with a 6in lift and 31in tires... I want to lift the ex more and put bigger tires on it, But I don't know a ton about all this stuff, and don't have a ton of money to spend on it. ($2,000-$8,000) I plan to go off roadin at least 5 times a month... Just in Indiana, so mostly mudding and hills, nothing to big. Also my daily driver.

Could I put a 3in body lift on it, and then 35in or 38in tires?
If so what are some good body lifts to do that with?

Thanks, all advice is welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6in lift should clear 35's....
But your going to need gears. Or else it will just SUCK for off road use.

And... 35" is about the max you wan to run on the Dana 35 front axles. At 35"+ you will start to run into strength issues (and wheel bearing issues). Of course, it all depends on your wheeling style too.

~Mark

Thanks for the info... any gears you would suggest getting for off road?

4.88:1 if it'll be on the freeways much, 5.13 otherwise.

FWIW, there was at least one guy here (forget his UN) running 38s on his for a good long while and no issues. Primarily played in the mud though, which tends to be easier on parts than say, rock crawling. 36" is about the max I'd feel comfortable running on stock hardware. Above that I'd be looking at a 1-ton axle swap (will eat up that budget fairly quick).

Thanks, do you know of a good place to buy gears?

Also, would 4.56 be any better for off road, and on road... still daily driver, but I do go mudding.

4.56 is common for 33" tires and hiway use...
(I'm running 6" lift with 33s and 3.73)

Coming from a Mustang world I would suggest either Ford Racing gears or Richmond gears.

Back