New 2013 Sport MPG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2013 Sport MPG

Yo Adrian

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Hi all,

I have finally put about 500 miles on my Ex Sport. Driving about 50 / 50 city and hwy. Currently averaging 15.5 MPG. I know that ford says not to track till after 1K miles. Occasional lead foot, mostly light on the gas. Hwy speeds typically around 75 to 80.

Is this normal? Was hoping to land at 19 MPG or better. Tell me the MPG will improve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was getting roughly 16 for the first little while. Now I'm at 19 mpg and I have 6k miles on it. So your mpg numbers will improve. Not sure you'll ever see 20 though. Unless you drive like a little old lady. With a Sport.... well that would be wrong and a waste of money. LOL

I was getting roughly 16 for the first little while. Now I'm at 19 mpg and I have 6k miles on it. So your mpg numbers will improve. Not sure you'll ever see 20 though. Unless you drive like a little old lady. With a Sport.... well that would be wrong and a waste of money. LOL

I have the Livernois 93 Performance tune. I average 21.3 @ 75mph and 16 around town. I've been driving it back and forth to work for last week while wife drives the truck. 91 miles one way and that has been the average every tank so far. Getting about 325 miles out 16 gallons of gas on fill up.

About the same for me. Livernois 93 tune and average around 17 in town.

I am in Pittsburgh and get about 14 in town, I have ~4K miles on mine. It has been better lately though, I would like to get the tune from Livernois but worry about breaking stuff since I am leasing.

FYI, we got twin turbo performance engines with many bells and whistles making ot a relatively heavy cuv....

If we bought a sport for mpg, we may have bought the wrong vehicle...

the biggest influence on mpg in order of significance is:
1) Driving style - hard acceleration OR hard braking cost mpg (stop and go traffic too)
2) Heavy loads - moving more weight cost mpg
3) high speed & large frontal area - has to push more air to get to speed...

If your mpg changes 1 or 2 mpg after break in, I'd be surprised - it is what it is :)

enjoy it and drive it !!!

Absolutely. I bought mine to drive it. MPGs I could care less about. It is nice to see a vehicle like this getting the numbers I'm getting the way I'm driving it though. :)

Absolutely. I bought mine to drive it. MPGs I could care less about. It is nice to see a vehicle like this getting the numbers I'm getting the way I'm driving it though. :)

i could not be happier with 14mpg. This thing is just as heavy, faster, and gets 3 more MPG than my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi i got rid of.

What!!! Maybe I may be overreacting and too soon, but i've had mine for a week with 210 miles and all i see is 10.5 MPG. Mostly normal in town driving. Starting to worry about that. Should i hang tight for a while more. If that doesnt get any better i may need to get another job just to buy gas.

I am averaging 18.7 and have gotten 26-25.6 MPG at 55 mph.

About the same for me. Livernois 93 tune and average around 17 in town.

Couple of questions:

1. How noticable is the tune regarding performance? What are the noticible differences?

2. Did you dyno before and after?

3. Do you have any other mods?

I'm getting 13.5 in city stop and go driving. No highway.

Couple of questions:

1. How noticable is the tune regarding performance? What are the noticible differences?

2. Did you dyno before and after?

3. Do you have any other mods?

To me the tune makes the sport drive like I think it should have from the factory. Better off the line, crisp shifts and pulls much harder. No dyno just what I felt. No other mods yet. I gained about 1.5 mpg when I put the tune in ( when I can keep my foot off the go pedal).

Dash Display

Will the dash display the water temp and oil pressure on a XLT?

What!!! Maybe I may be overreacting and too soon, but i've had mine for a week with 210 miles and all i see is 10.5 MPG. Mostly normal in town driving. Starting to worry about that. Should i hang tight for a while more. If that doesnt get any better i may need to get another job just to buy gas.

10.5 is the type of mileage you'd expect if you drove the car on a track. Unless you only drive with your right foot planted to the floor, heading uphill and have 2k lbs of sand in the back, there's something wrong.

It's likely a bad sensor someplace. Throttle is obviously working, but air pressure (don't know if these use a MAP or MAF sensor) or O2 sensors can easily tell the engine to keep pouring gas in the cylinders. These should be simple things for the dealer to check just by plugging the thing in.

Agree with those with tunes... many times tuning makes a car more 'efficient' and will bump the mpg up... BUT the mpg benefit is just a nice surprising by-product of tuning, the mpg saved will never pay for the tune or be worthwhile enough just to get a tune...

In every turbo vehicle I've owned and tuned (IIRC, the count stands at 6 so far),
I too got a bit better mpg IF I drove it like a grandpa, but what fun is that ?!? :)

@JimBob_SF

Does it matter if i am still only a week into ownership? I've see it gradually increase from 4.2 on the day i bought it to 10.5 and i am only at 210 miles. Do you advise i approach the dealer or wait a while more? My trips have been short, the longest being about 16 miles. I can do something longer this weekend to test if it will help.

@JimBob_SF

Does it matter if i am still only a week into ownership? I've see it gradually increase from 4.2 on the day i bought it to 10.5 and i am only at 210 miles. Do you advise i approach the dealer or wait a while more? My trips have been short, the longest being about 16 miles. I can do something longer this weekend to test if it will help.

I would reset the MPG calculator and drive it for a week or full tank and see what it says first.

I would reset the MPG calculator and drive it for a week or full tank and see what it says first.

Good advice. The car and engine are still breaking in. Use the trip meter while on that fresh tank to make sure that the MPG computer isn't busted.

I had a VW GTI when I was 18 years old and it's computer reported 40 mpg. There is NO way that car was getting 40 with an 18 year old who thought he was Andretti at the wheel...

It's brand new. Try not to stare at the gauge and enjoy it:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good advice, thanks very much. I'll be a bit more patient.

Back