new clamp on exhaust leaking at clamp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new clamp on exhaust leaking at clamp

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

Over the last two days I have replaced a muffler with the type that is attached with clamps instead of being welded. These are the u-bolt clamps and not the band style clamps. The results are mixed.

If I am not stepping on the gas it is quite quiet. If I accelerate then I hear some of the kind of sound I hear with a hole in the exhaust. Also, when I first started up some water leaked out at the junction between the exhaust pipe and the muffler. This is the junction between the old exhaust pipe that I didn't replace and the new pipe. I have tightened up the clamps some, but there still seems to be an issue. It is not as loud as when the muffler was split down the side but it is not as I would like it.

I am looking for suggestions as to what to do next.

Should I just keep cranking down on the clamps? I already have then pretty tight and I'm not sure how much further to go.
Should I take it apart again, clean up the old pipe better, and put some muffler weld on the old pipe to seal the fitting?
Should I seal it with Permatex 80335 instead of muffler weld?
Should I switch to a band style clamp? If so, which clamp would be recommended?
Some combination of the above?
Should I just wait for the whole thing to rust together?

As always, suggestions are appreciated,

LMHmedchem

My exhaust cracked right behind the muffler, so i removed the over the axle section and attached a small 45 degree section to direct it downward a bit.

If it were me, i'd wait for it to completely rot out, and do the entire thing professionally. What you've already done will suffice till then, but start saving your pennies for the job.

PS-imo, trying for perfection in this imperfect world may make one slightly insane, so most things are "okay, but may not be perfect" with me.
As long as the drive train is good, all the rest can be merely okay.

Back