• Register Today It's free!

new explorer need some help

Tylers02

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
So I purchased this new to me 2004 Explorer Limited 4.6L AWD for relatively cheap with 105xxx miles on it. Seller assured no mechanical issues all matinance up to date etc, etc. Test drove it probably 20 miles with zero issues. A few day after purchase I got the dreaded rear end whine/vibration. Changed the diff fluid added friction modifier and good so far. Ended up replacing fuel filter plugs and oil today. Plugs and fuel filter were original and oil didn't look so hot so obviously the owner didn't do all scheduled matinance. Now here lies the big problem, the transmission. After driving for 15-20 minutes i get a 2-3rd gear flare. It's only happened twice put od light started flashing today and a few weeks ago. When my elm327 scanner worked i pulled the p0745 code. If I reset pcm trans shifts perfect for a few days. Also seem to have some electrical gremlins most likely due to a remote start which I'm not sure even works as I didn't receive fob with purchase. I'm at a crossroad take the chance and replace solenoid block or trade it in. Any advice is welcome. And a few pics

20160221_161214_zpsscx2xdrv.jpg

20160221_161318_zpswtne7aky.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of two things here, your solinoid pack is f****** up or your servos in the trans are worn, its basically a war, steel pin vs aluminum case... that steel will win 100% of the time, the fix? Just google fordservoborefix.com and read up, it's basically a kit with a new servo and sleeve to fill in where the steel rod made dammage. It's around 200$ but people have gotten 100k + miles out of it. Good luck!

Ps: you might want to also look into the "Brown wire mod" since you have a AWD explorer, also look into lucus transmission stop slip additive to help with wear on the band's and add a little heat protection in this trans, heat is the main killer! It's worked wonders in my lexus suv!

Either servos, most likely, or a band.

$200 for the aforementioned servo pin fix, or $2500 for a rebuild.

Makuloco2000 recently endorsed the $200 fix, I'd go that route. And I'm not sure, but if you keep driving it with no third, you may ruin the band and require a rebuild.

Nice looking Ex btw.

I appreciate the help. Talking with a few people and being that it's an intermittent issue and not a constant loss of 3rd gear I'm thinking it's the solenoid pack and not a bore issue. Ordered the pack and I'll swap it out next weekend.

Now if I can only figure it why my backup sensors work perfect most of the time but other times constantly beep while in reverse.

I've not heard of third gear being affected by the solenoid pack at all. But my experience is limited. A trans shop may run codes for free. Just go in for an estimate.

Constant beeping at times is usually a sign of crud/debris on the sensor. Just wipe them down and you should be good to go.

I should have clarified it's a 3nd-3rd gear flare. No loss of any gears. Only does it occasionally and usually when up to temp. If I reset pcm it shift perfect for a day or two. As far as sensors I've cleaned them numerous times. Just washed, clay bared and wax it Sunday and still have the issue. I have pulled codes and got the p0745 solenoid A malfunction code

I should have clarified it's a 3nd-3rd gear flare. No loss of any gears. Only does it occasionally and usually when up to temp. If I reset pcm it shift perfect for a day or two. As far as sensors I've cleaned them numerous times. Just washed, clay bared and wax it Sunday and still have the issue. I have pulled codes and got the p0745 solenoid A malfunction code

I'm surprised the clay bar and wax didn't fix the issue :scratch:
My explorer did the same thing, would flare between 2nd-3rd, or sometimes slip, rev up and then catch. I'm driving an 02 XLS, but I assume it's the same issue. At the time I brought it into a couple shops who told me "not to worry about it". Being rather unexperienced at the time I took there word for it.
I don't recall exactly how long I drove with this issue, but it was probably around 6-8 months before my tranny died on me (driving out of a tires plus incidentally).
I would go with the servo pin as the others suggested. Who knows if you have as much time as I did. Looks like a clean ride otherwise

The thing is talking with ford senior techs a bore issue would be a constant issue and not intermittent. The servo pack is on its way. Worst case if it doesn't fix the issue I get more of the old tranny fluid out when I tear it back down. Some days it shifts perfect some days not so much. Using the manual gear selector I have no issues. To me this points to a malfunctioned solenoid especially since that's the code I'm throwing. But by no means am i a tranny expert. Any way to check bores while I have it apart. Micrometer to see if there worn?

the brown wire mod is only for 4X4 not AWD. Also, the $$$ was spent on those rims. People will promise you all day to get your $$$... Easy thing to do, pull the dip stick, easy and free. Plus oil gets dark when it's due...

the brown wire mod is only for 4X4 not AWD. Also, the $$$ was spent on those rims. People will promise you all day to get your $$$... Easy thing to do, pull the dip stick, easy and free. Plus oil gets dark when it's due...

Not sure what youn mena? There is no dips stick for the tranny. Engine oil was just replaced 3 days ago with synthetic as well as spar plugs fuel filter and diff fluid.

I hate the rims and Wouldn't much rather have rims and tires like my old explorer

Not sure what youn mena? There is no dips stick for the tranny. Engine oil was just replaced 3 days ago with synthetic as well as spar plugs fuel filter and diff fluid.

I hate the rims and Wouldn't much rather have rims and tires like my old explorer

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Joe was internetting while drunk when he typed that. We've all been there.

BTW, are you in Kansas City or California?

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Joe was internetting while drunk when he typed that. We've all been there.

BTW, are you in Kansas City or California?

Apparently I was drunk with all the misspelling. I'm in California

my wife drove the mounty with bad servo for years before having it rebuild, as long as the O/D flashes ocassionally (not constantly) it's still driveable and sellable. got the same code too.. if you're experiencing harsh engagement on any gear (like doing a reverse) it could be the solenoid pack otherwise i bet it's the servo bore starting to or has wear already. solenoid packs are not cheap either and the ones in ebay are questionable, most of the lincoln ls owners have those issues.

"Plugs and fuel filter were original and oil didn't look so hot so obviously the owner didn't do all scheduled matinance."

You can pull the engine dipstick to see the obvious state of the engine oil.

"Not sure what youn mena? There is no dips stick for the tranny. Engine oil was just replaced 3 days ago with synthetic as well as spar plugs fuel filter and diff fluid.

I hate the rims and Wouldn't much rather have rims and tires like my old explorer "

The previous owner put money into rims and tires. NOT the explorer. That is the easiest thing to see. If you don't have much money to spend and your spending on the wheels for the car then you obviously aren't bothering to keep up the car.

my wife drove the mounty with bad servo for years before having it rebuild, as long as the O/D flashes ocassionally (not constantly) it's still driveable and sellable. got the same code too.. if you're experiencing harsh engagement on any gear (like doing a reverse) it could be the solenoid pack otherwise i bet it's the servo bore starting to or has wear already. solenoid packs are not cheap either and the ones in ebay are questionable, most of the lincoln ls owners have those issues.

My reverse engagement it harsh when up to temp. So far od light has only flashed twice with about 3-4 weeks in between. Either way solenoid pack is on its way so we will see what happens.

Well I replaced the solenoid block today and so far so good but it shifted fine for the first day after resetting pcm, so I won't know for sure for a couple days. The replacement wasn't too bad even without the car be jacked up except the 10 mm bolt for the wire harness. I highly recommend purchasing a ratcheting swivel box end wrench if you ever replace the block.

Next question since it's been brought up in this thread. Is the brown wire mod possible on AWD or only the auto 4wd system.

Only the electronic 4X4. The AWD is a mechanical system.

Now onto to the electrical grimlins. Like why the reverse washer fluid button sprays the front and vice verse but doesn't active wiper. Example I hit the button for front washer fluid and front wipers activate but the fluid stays out the back nossles.

It seems none of the unlock buttons work in the vehicle, only on the fob and keypad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh the washer button fix should be easy. Not a gremlin. There is one pump for both front and back. It has two hose nipples. One for front and one for back. The pump spins one way for front, and reverse for rear. Just swap the hoses and all good there :)

Back