New guy old builder album | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New guy old builder album

Broncobra- Dash

Thanks for the complement Rookieshooter and for the work you put in as a moderator. I read your entire thread prior to joining, took awhile as I pondered at many points along the way, but each post was either informative, entertaining or both. Thanks for the cleanup and let me know when I mess up or could make my posts better.

I really admire your 'lil Sampson and the thought, energy, enthusiasm and $$$, you put into the build. Rick C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Broncobra- Spare rack

(lost photos)

Pre runner style articulated spare tire rack being installed

Rack extended

Detail of roller lockdown

Detail of rollers and track frame

Tire carrier pivoted down

Broncobra Radiator support/brace

(lost photos)

I decided to eliminate the radiator/hood latch support sheetmetal, which simplified not only the engine swap, but really opened up the front for large radiator and various electric or mechanical fan setups. Of course I decided to go with hood pins as a simple and proven method of securing the bonnet and I needed to build a reinforcing brace to tie the sheet metal back together and provide a upper support for the Griffin radiator.

Heres my solution, it wasn't the quickest way to accomplish the requirements, but where's the fun in that? Brace made of 1" DOM tubing and angle iron.

Angle brackets are positioned flat on the sheet metal contours, but the tube is angled upward front to rear. It is funtional and adds to the appearence of the engine bay. Grill is also attached to the bar.

I have already benefited from my decision to enlarge the access opening to the front as I had a couple of occassions that I needed to have clear access to the front of the engine (cam problem, radiator swap) & removed the grill, support bar, radiator & electric fan in less than 20 minutes time and I wasn't in a hurry!

Broncobra - Cowl induction

(lost photos)

Cowl scoop is functional

Cut the hood with plasma cutter

Thanks for all your help and 4x4 junkie also, on the photo issues, I don't think I would have ever figured it out without your help. I meant to Google earth Humbolt, Ka. and will do that this evening. It would be good to meet you also, I would like to go anywhere that is cooler and has green grass...I mean it's dry in S.W Ok. I didn't know that I truly might need the Broncobra desert truck for serious! I had planned a trip up to little Sahara to run the dunes and sand this fall but not going if the heat doesn't lift a bit. Probably just stick with the dry sandy river beds of the Canadian river for now. Catch 'ya later my friend. Rick C.

Glad to help.

Looks like you got a lot of time invested into that BII, very cool Dead Link Removed (great job with the fold-down tire carrier, that should save wear & tear on the back for sure):thumbsup:

Broncobra's brothers

(lost photos)
Photo above shows my DD 1987 Eddie B. Edit. 94,000 miles I bought it new and will never sell her. I designed & built the grill guard which incorporates a frame stiffener, tow hooks and receiver hook...won't find that puppy at Autozone!

Next to my DD is the lifted 1985 that is to become the Broncobra project. Already mounted the Centerline Convopros but the rubber is some scabby retread AT's

Below shows 1987 B2 XLT with 5 speed 2.9l, has the factory spare rack & the somewhat unusual lift glass in the lift gate...just sold it to my neighbor & already miss her! Parked next to the B2 is a 1987 Ranger with 4 cyl.

!985 just about ready to meet Mr. Sawz all.

Sawz all... there is no substitute!

Top, upper half of liftgate, bumper and mirrors gone...hood, grill and frame horns are next to go. The radiator and electric fan were shot and will also soon leave the building.

Stock bumper has been removed and the frame horns are ready to be shortened and capped.

Horns have been cut and are read to be capped. Tranny cooler has also been mounted.

Frame horns have been capped and fitted with grade 8 half inch bolts.

Tube bumper installed along with new black grill The chrome one just didn't seem to work for me. Front clip has yet to be cut and old fan and radiator removed prior to pulling the old engine.

Broncobra- build photos

I've been going through my photos of the Broncobra build and there must be 600 to 700 of them and of course I get sidetracked with pictures of my other builds and machining/welding projects from the last few years, don't know where time goes but a lot of mine went into building"stuff" over the last 50 years...everything from Cushmans at 14 years of age to a dual turbocharged & intercooled Porsche in the early 1980s. Seems like the current build is always my favorite and the Broncobra is no different. I hope you enjoy looking at my album of a little different approach to building a B2 desert truck.

Broncobra- "Sport door inserts"

I'm a fan of Broncos, any model & have owned early, B2 & full size. One of my favorite variations for the early model was the removable door and the fiberglass sport door insert that really smoothed out the profile of the Bronc with it's doors off. When I first started thinking about the look that I wanted in my B2 roadster the Sport door was one of the top 3 features that it had to have...along with a powerful V8 and duarable drive train specifically set up for desert running.

Before cutting the door I taped the contour pattern with painters tape (several times) to get the right "look" and then lightly sprayed the area with Krylon. Then I cut it out with a sawzall and dressed the edges with a cylindric shaped pipefitters grindstone mounted on the arbor of a 4" angle grinder. These stones are not expensive and will dress up some of the worst examples of incompetent cutting with saw, torch or whatever known to man. I know because some of those were made by me.

The photo above shows that first cut.

I left the doors on their hinges and latches, and also attached them with multiple self tapping screws. I left the forward door post attached to the A column because at this point I wanted them to help support the windshield (it had not yet been capped and strengthened across the top) these post were also attached to the A column with heavy self tappers.

As you can see from the 1st. picture above the results were definitely ugly and it only gets worse, you should have seen the looks on faces as people entered my shop and saw what I had done to a perfectly good Bronco (as some described it). Oh well eggs have to be broken in order to serve breakfast. lol

I filled the door cavities with foam and let harden...trimmed the foam with a large knife and smoothed with a grinder to form a uniform surface, then applied several layer of resin and glass. After it cured I topped the fiberglass with several coats of bedliner and let that cure.

By this time you should realize that I was serious about these doors never becoming a problem and yes i did think about removal of doors or fenders for repair and I inserted access points to bolts, latches, screws and hinges through all the glass etc.

There is a front half and a back half for each door opening and they meet in the middle. The caps are attached to the inside panel of the door with self tapping sheet metal screws, this inner panel goes all the way to the bottom of the door. The outside edge over laps the exterior door skin and follows the contours of the body and door opening. Not shown is the scuff plate that will be attached to join the two halves and dress up/protect and further strengthen the door "insert". I wanted a door that a 500 lb. Gorilla could stand on, heck jump up and down on and not piss me off cause I didn't build it strong enough to take the abuse. Early Bronco owners have to remind everone not to stand on the door inserts when climbing in and out...I'm not going to worry about it!

The tailgate cutout was fabricated in basically the same way but it uses a three piece construction, mainly because of the length involved and I didn't have the strength of steel to attach it to (liftgate is fiberglass and once the plastic interior trim is removed there isn't even a good flat surface to mount to ...so I attached a flat quarter inch think aluminum diamond plate panel to the inside of the lift gate. Then I had a good looking, strong surface to mount to. I painted the diamond plate black. The bars, lights and spare rim are the only items of chrome or polished aluminum in the interior.

Broncobra- Roadster

These are two of my early shots at making the roadster design work. The side profile gave me some hope that my concept might work out, but the Ranger look from the rear...not so much.
I really don't want to bore you with all my failed attempts to get it right...just want to point out that fabrication takes patience and time, failure and setbacks are not the exception to the rule they are a part of the rules. I actually started out with a design drawing that looked about right on paper but the above photos said differently...especially the back end.

Broncobra- More sheet metal

Capped the bed rails after chopping top with 22 ga. rolled/angle. I attached with pop rivets on inside of bed & then used 4 layers of glass to seal. Of course I welded the rail seam before doing the work listed above.

Center console used 14 gauge sheet steel and some scrap 1 inch tubing for the frame which I thought would look good on the outside, with the sheetmetal welded to the inside with several bends and a rolled section at the rear.

Just went out to feed the horses and thought this was an interesting shot.

I made a comment earlier that I wanted to clarify about the James Duff headers. I did have a problem installing them but I feel it was because I was using them on the World after market heads rather than Ford stock heads. Frame & steering clearance were not a problem and as I stated earlier they perform very well on my 302. The people at James Duff have always gone out of their way to be of help to me and I appreciate them for continuing to support the B2 aftermarket with offroad products and I will certainly continue to use them as a vendor.

Broncobra's other projects

Some of the things I enjoy. Post some pics of your favorite projects!

Shop occupies a lot of my time.

Real deal Broncos.

1966 Frame off restoration of 1966 Mustang 2+2 GT 271hp K-code numbers matching ...and yes it is a driver.

1933 Texaco fuel tanker...another complete restore, but seldom driven.

Broncobra-console

IMAG0003.JPG

Had her out today and got a little dusty...there isn't any water or mud to be found, since it's only rained 4 inches here in the last 12 months. All the farm and ranch tanks (ponds) are dry and very little water in the streams. It's dry, but it was fun to cruise a bit...fire hazard in effect so off roading is just about closed to everyone except the property owners. Had about two thousand acre (local) burn two days ago...cause unknown, but took several different fire departments to contain it.

You've got some sweet builds. What else you got hiding around?

Broncobra

You've got some sweet builds. What else you got hiding around?

Rookieshooter I guess I'm kinda eclectic in my interests, cars , trucks, scooters & tractors etc., but I have also rebuilt a lot of old gas pumps and antique surveyors instruments and other scientific hardware circa 1860's to early 20th. century. I know your a hunter & might have an interest in some of the firearms I've built. Currently I'm building an electric reaming station for 223 cases (also extracts the spent primer) for a commercial cartridge manufacturer. I'll take some photos of some of these and post up.
My kids used to say that I only like old stuff & I'd tell them that I like new things well enough...just have to wait until they get old!

Broncobra

That's a cool bronco man, might have to copycat your doors on mine if I don't just remove the completely

Thanks Janderson the door "inserts" are a blast to build. I decided to make my Broncobra a seasonal ride, so I didn't care about doors etc. It's the truck I'll jump in instead of taking a bike...open air and wind in my face (thinking about modifying her for a laydown windshield) even if only off road (stupid Oklahoma Dept. of safety rules) & the only concession to the elements will be the bikini top. Now back to your comment...your truck doesn't have to be either or , it can be both. I like theremovable door solution that Rookieshooter runs just add the sport inserts built to fit the same hinge and door setup. It would require finding another set of doors to cut, but that shouldn't be a problem or much of an expense. I initially planned to do just that and even after I decided to just run the cutouts year round, I left the cutout door attached to the original hinge and latch...just in case I ever wanted to mount a full door for colder weather. This full door/cutout door combination is exactly what Ford did with the Early Bronco. I'm not going to tell you it is super easy, but with a minimum of tools & expense, you can do it & I can guide you through most of what you might have questions about and seeing some of the work your doing you probably won't need much if any help, but my offer stands. Either way removing the doors opens up a new feeling to wheeling on and off road.

That did it! I'm moving to OK. I can't take no more.
When I was a kid I watched as some original Wildcatters, neck down 30-06 shells and then insert some 257 Roberts bullets. Then build a Mauser action around it with set triggers. Seemed that Remington took interest in what these guys were doing. Not only these guys but others also. Then Remington started producing this Caliber that I still shoot to this day.
Never did have the .223 but did have a .222 and even the 222 Remington Mag. chambered in a Sako. Wish I never sold them.

Broncobra

Man I am really diggin the Broncobra. Very cool

Thanks for your encouragement. It means a lot coming from an enthusiast like yourself! Hope you guys are getting some rain in S.E. Kansas...I did look up Humbolt and was pleasantly surprised that the raceway was still in use, I had a friend who raced there back in the '60s & '70s. Larry Holman ran modifieds, Super & Sprints during that time frame and was pretty hard to stay in front of...no matter who you were. I miss the action and I've just decided to go out and cheer some of the local guys around some of our local tracks. Best in all you do! Rick C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the broncobra, you are quite the fabricator. I also love your mustang, that is one of my dream cars.

Back