New here, need electrical advice!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New here, need electrical advice!!

RadRyan1986

Reaction score
City, State
Montrose Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey guys I'm new here and already apologize because I'm sure this has been answered, but when do I absolutely need to change my fuse box? I had a wreck last year which sent me into a creek and just got my Explorer back running after an engine swap. The under hood fuse box is fine, however the interior one was completely submerged for 10 minutes. It had plenty of time to dry, and some things do still work. The speedometer, illuminated interior lights, tail lights, dimmer switch, and certain functions of the door locks do not. There are a lot of fuses that require 10s but have 7.5s in them. Is this okay? Thanks again people's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The key question is?

Was it salt or fresh water? Salt water and you are going to have lots of problems with corroded wiring. Fresh water may not be that bad if it's given time to dry properly.

As for the fuses. A fuse is a safety valve that blows out when the load is too high. If things are working fine with a 7.5 where a 10 is called for then there is no harm.

Just don't go stick a 20 in a 10 slot, you may be asking for a nice fire...

Haha
The key question is?

Was it salt or fresh water? Salt water and you are going to have lots of problems with corroded wiring. Fresh water may not be that bad if it's given time to dry properly.

As for the fuses. A fuse is a safety valve that blows out when the load is too high. If things are working fine with a 7.5 where a 10 is called for then there is no harm.

Just don't go stick a 20 in a 10 slot, you may be asking for a nice fire...
It was fresh water, and it had about 3 months to dry. A lot of things work fine still, but there are a good bit of electrical bugs still. No illumination lights, speedometer doesn't work, I can only unlock the doors from the driver side, not lock them. But all the other doors lock and unlock fine. The windows only let up and down from the driver side. Dimmer switch only turns on the lights for a second or two every now and then. I know I've just got to spend some time and tinker. I'm thinking about taking all fuses out and vacuuming the fuse box out really well. Thanks for the reply

Ryan, welcome. If your Explorer is a 4 door & the windows only work from the drivers door switch check to make sure the lock out is not on, that will stop it from working from the other door switches.

i would say there may be some corrosion issues. For me, to rule it out i would put whatever fuses in there that the slots call for. it may not be a problem, but i wouldnt have to think about it anymore and could move on.

I'm thinking the button panel on the drivers side is faulty after the water damage. The window lock won't allow the other windows to let down no matter which way I press the switch. I finally got the lock button to work after about a month of pressing the button every day. The driver side window no longer let's up or down, but it used to. So I'm gathering that I need to either clean the panel off really well somehow, or replace it. I just don't want to have to take the whole door panel off unless it's the last possible solution. Thanks for the help guys.

Back