New lifters still noisy after engine rebuild. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New lifters still noisy after engine rebuild.

Well, I figured it out.

Turns out that my little issue of the lifters being a little "tighter" in the bore is my problem. I took note of which lifter/rockers I could get slop out of, and removed each rocker shaft/pushrods and checked the lifters for movement. I got 4 that I knew of that had the issue, and all of those lifters were pretty tight in the bore (wouldn't slide freely by hand, but would move when the engine rotates...just not all the way). The others would slide easily, as they should, but I even had some that were about half way in between as far as being too tight or normal.

Fortunately I called Rockauto, who talked to Sealed Power, and I got them to warranty all 12. I'll check the dimensions and movement before I button everything back up. Then I'll send back the first batch of lifters once I confirm everything is good.

I'll do a good check of my bores when I pull the lifters out, just to make sure it is in fact the lifter and not the bore. If for some reason these new lifters still have some issues, or between the 24 sealed power lifters I'll have at my disposal I can't find 12 that will fit in the bores as they should, I've had my OEM ones soaking since I pulled them out. I'll throw them back in and roll.

I'll hopefully have the parts by the end of this week, so my plan is to have the thing running again this weekend. I'll report back once it's all back together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eureka! Truck is running great with NO valvetrain noise. Got the new lifters installed with no issues.

I had 6 out of the 12 in the first batch that were tight in the bore, some I had to use a pair of channel locks to pull them out to give you an idea. The problem was NOT the lifter body dimensions (checked with my calipers), but the little indexing/anti-rotation tab that is on all of them. They were a bit too large on half of them, which was causing the hang ups. Bummer, lesson learned here folks, if the lifters don't just slide in, STOP! You live you learn I suppose, it's my fault entirely. I thought the new lifters would wear in a bit, boy was I WRONG. The new lifters are butter, dropped right in. Fortunately there wasn't any damage to the lifter bores, so all is well.

Drove it around for about 50 miles today and everything is good. It's nice not to hear that "tick tick tick" at all. So far no leaks. So that's that, just wanted to report back what the exact cause of all of my problems was, and hopefully this can help someone out in the future.

Great to hear you solved your troubles. I have been following this thread from day 1 and was curious what the result would end up being. A lesson for all of us to learn if we have to replace lifters.

Eureka! Truck is running great with NO valvetrain noise. Got the new lifters installed with no issues.

I had 6 out of the 12 in the first batch that were tight in the bore, some I had to use a pair of channel locks to pull them out to give you an idea. The problem was NOT the lifter body dimensions (checked with my calipers), but the little indexing/anti-rotation tab that is on all of them. They were a bit too large on half of them, which was causing the hang ups. Bummer, lesson learned here folks, if the lifters don't just slide in, STOP! You live you learn I suppose, it's my fault entirely. I thought the new lifters would wear in a bit, boy was I WRONG. The new lifters are butter, dropped right in. Fortunately there wasn't any damage to the lifter bores, so all is well.

Drove it around for about 50 miles today and everything is good. It's nice not to hear that "tick tick tick" at all. So far no leaks. So that's that, just wanted to report back what the exact cause of all of my problems was, and hopefully this can help someone out in the future.

did you pull the heads to do this?you didnt re use any of the gaskets or head bolts correct?also you know the lower intake needs to be tightened in sequence with the heads?

you also know with 95tm heads and 94 pistons you are now at 10:1 compression and you should be using 90+ gas.

You have to pull the heads to get to the lifters unfortunately. I used new gaskets and head bolts, did the torque sequence alternately with the heads and lower manifold, and I purposely upgraded to 95tm heads for the compression bump, so I knew about the octane requirements. I made sure I did my homework before starting this whole deal.

You have to pull the heads to get to the lifters unfortunately. I used new gaskets and head bolts, did the torque sequence alternately with the heads and lower manifold, and I purposely upgraded to 95tm heads for the compression bump, so I knew about the octane requirements. I made sure I did my homework before starting this whole deal.

Sounds like it,didnt mean no offense was just trying to rule out any possible reason for your other thread and getting water into the oil.im in va beach,we should meet up sometime.would love to check your truck out.o also i don't know who you are using but Magnum performance is one of the best machine shops around here and has done all my machining.

No worries man, no offense taken, i was just answering the questions short and sweet that's all. I'd be down with getting up sometime, once I get off of 12s and get my truck straight. I'd like to see your Eaton powered 4.0 in person.

A guy at work recommended magnum machine after I had already taken my block to Apple's over in Yorktown, ever heard of them? They came recommended by a different gear head at work, so I gave them a chance. Apple's seems competent, but they don't do any port work, that's the only thing they said they don't do.

No worries man, no offense taken, i was just answering the questions short and sweet that's all. I'd be down with getting up sometime, once I get off of 12s and get my truck straight. I'd like to see your Eaton powered 4.0 in person.

A guy at work recommended magnum machine after I had already taken my block to Apple's over in Yorktown, ever heard of them? They came recommended by a different gear head at work, so I gave them a chance. Apple's seems competent, but they don't do any port work, that's the only thing they said they don't do.

Nope never heard of them. Magnum is out of Greenbrier,pretty far difference from York town.yea i work two jobs,hell three if you count working on my truck as one.lol really sucks you may have a bad head,even tho i had one, i still recommend eq pretty highly .

Back