New offroad Y pipe finally installed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New offroad Y pipe finally installed!

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys, first off I want to give props to Jakee for this idea. He helped me out on what to buy and such and the general idea. I finally got it installed. The Y pipe consists of:

1x Magnaflow dual 2.5" to single 2.5" Y pipe
3x 2.5" section piping
2x 2" to 2.5" adapters to fit the pipe to the stock manifold
1x 2.5" Exhaust mandral bend kit
2x 02 sensor bungs
1x Flowmaster Original 40 muffler

I really like the outcome. Much more torque and when Im going and get on it...she goes! It is MUCH MORE aggresive sounding/louder than when I had stock 2" piping and stock cats. The only thing I would like to change is maybe the muffler to a super 44. The muffler sounded good with the cats on; however, with the cats off and bigger piping manifold back, the noise gets higher up and isnt as deep. I was told a large magnaflow muffler might help this....I was thinking maybe a single super 44 flowmaster? Any input? Here are pics

DSC01415.JPG

DSC01416.JPG

DSC01417.JPG

DSC01420.JPG

DSC01421.JPG

DSC01423.JPG

DSC01424.JPG

DSC01426.JPG

DSC01429.JPG

DSC01431.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A fellow single-piper :D. I stuck with 2.25" pipes all the way through though.

y_pipe.jpg

That looks pretty dad-gum good!

So you feel you've gained torque?

well the 4.0 motors like single pipes so I stuck with single as well. The only thing I want now is a deeper muffler as the original flowmaster 40 gets LOUD and HIGH. Am thinking about super 44.... I noticed a lot more low end torque. I love it! If only the sound was better....also smells a bit more. Here is a few morning shots with the pipes painted. Notice I had to use 2.5 to 2" adapter to use the stock manifold connectors.

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01433.JPG

DSC01434.JPG

DSC01435.JPG

DSC01436.JPG

DSC01437.JPG

DSC01438.JPG

DSC01439.JPG

DSC01440.JPG

nice feet

thanks izwack! Forget Y pipe! My feet are the ****t!

Im' in the process of making a new y-pipe for my ranger, only I wish it looked HALF as pretty as yours, man... Good Work! I'm jealous!

Nice Looking...

so are you guys cutting out the catalytic converter??? cuz there off road

This cuts out the pre-cats but you have a choice to run a main cat. Me personally, I'm running a 3" Magnaflow cat.

Well since its so loud (Have original 40 flowmaster on) I ordered a new one. I got a Super 44 Flowmaster in the mail. We will see how this works. A friend of mine also has a magnaflow sitting around we are going to try.

Jakee, did the magnaflow cat muffle the sound at all? I might end up getting one for the smell..

There certainly is an odor after you cut those back cats off isn't there:D

Well I mean the odor isnt horrible....very slight. Im just worried about what it smells like to the people behind me as I drive. I dont want to be the smelly car on the road !

Well since its so loud (Have original 40 flowmaster on) I ordered a new one. I got a Super 44 Flowmaster in the mail. We will see how this works. A friend of mine also has a magnaflow sitting around we are going to try.

Jakee, did the magnaflow cat muffle the sound at all? I might end up getting one for the smell..

Af - To me, it cleans up the sound. you know the pitchy rasp? I believe the cat cleans that up a little. I have a 2.5" Magnaflow cat that I used for a few months maybe? Anyways, it's yours if you want it. I'll sell it to you cheap.

Back