• Register Today It's free!

New owners!

PrinceValium

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello everyone! I am Rob and my wife and I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport with pretty much everything but park assist (an early Christmas gift for my wife). So far we are loving the SUV and I look forward to talking to you all about our vehicles. :burnout:

Here are a few pics of the vehicle which my wife has named Ladybug (since she LOVES ladybugs). I know pictures are a must...lol

IMG_3642_zps7svabzh4.jpg

IMG_3647_zpsonx4qbsr.jpg

IMG_3645_zpsne8upns4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok...a few small gripes about the SUV so far. The first one was when I was trying to put on the front license plate...the frame holder would have to be UPSIDE DOWN!! So I had to make my own holes in the plate holder to allow the plate frame to look normal. The second one is that the high beams are yellow and pretty much useless compared to the low beam bright as hell LED lights!

Anyone have some good replacement options?

The third is that for me at least I really have no place to put my left foot comfortably when driving the Explorer...I have size 15 shoes and it is pretty cramped for laying my foot down there.

Granted these things are pretty minor but just some first impression gripes. I do have to say that getting into it to drive after driving my F150 is for the most part seamless. The seats in the sport are very comfortable like my Platinum and the Explorer scoots pretty good! I really like the adaptive cruise control as well. Well that is it for now...lol

Congratulations on the SPORT, it seems to be the perfect combination of options. Like you that is one grip I have also, is the left foot area, just to tight. I wish I knew the reason for it being built that way.

Take that front plate off!! That was the first thing I did as soon as I got it home. It scared the hell out of me though when I pushed the panic alarm accidentally as I was drilling through the first plastic rivet!

I thought the lack of room on the dead pedal would bug me, but I always drive with the left knee bent at about a 90 and have my foot close to the seat. That things looks sweet. I love the red too. I wish mine was that clean. It is filthy and only 4 days old. It has been raining since we picked it up.

We have to have front plates in California though...the longer you drive without them is a future ticket waiting to happen! My wife is coming out of a 2009 G37s convertible to this Explorer so there is a bit of a learning curve for her. That G37 was a rocket ship but lacked the sheer comfort and smooth ride of thisExplorer. I know they are two different animals but when I would be used to driving my F150 and then getting into her G37 is was like driving a railcar!

I am in Santa Rosa. None of my cars have a front plate. The only time I got a ticket for it was 20 years ago when I had the Mustang pitched sideways in 2nd gear on an on ramp. I didn't see the CHP coming down the off-ramp. Oops! Anyway, I was happy that all he did was write me up for the front plate!

Welcome and nice vehicle!
I concur with point #3 and mentioned it in my first review. Super nice vehicle though, we're really enjoying the "wife's vehicle"...

I am in Santa Rosa. None of my cars have a front plate. The only time I got a ticket for it was 20 years ago when I had the Mustang pitched sideways in 2nd gear on an on ramp. I didn't see the CHP coming down the off-ramp. Oops! Anyway, I was happy that all he did was write me up for the front plate!
As PrinceValium mentioned, California law requires passenger vehicles to have both a front and rear license plate. Therefore telling a member to remove it could be considered "an illegal activity" which is prohibited on this site as per R&R.

Peter

As PrinceValium mentioned, California law requires passenger vehicles to have both a front and rear license plate. Therefore telling a member to remove it could be considered "an illegal activity" which is prohibited on this site as per R&R.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I know what the member meant and I was tempted to do that very thing. We will leave it on for the time being.

Yep I saw you lived in Santa Rosa....I lived there for about 9 years myself. It was a really nice place to live and so close to Bodega!

Peter, are you serious?
I guess I can't post any pics of my wife's Explorer since I removed the front plate. I wonder how much a fix-it ticket is nowadays. It didn't used to cost anything if you just corrected it and got it signed off, which I did when I got the ticket 20 years ago. The cop that signed it off was disgusted that I was even issued the ticket.
I guess I better not talk about tuners in the modifications forum either since putting a tuner on is also against CA law.

Yes, I like Santa Rosa. Been here since 2000. Grew up in Novato. The last little outing in our 2002 Ex was a trip to Bodega for a Wine Maker's dinner at The Inn at the Tides for our anniversary last month. Expensive, but good. Stayed the night at the hotel. I need to get our 2016 out on Hwy 1 and finish breaking it in. I have been going through withdrawals since my Mustang has been on jack stands since June!

Peter, are you serious?
I guess I can't post any pics of my wife's Explorer since I removed the front plate. I wonder how much a fix-it ticket is nowadays. It didn't used to cost anything if you just corrected it and got it signed off, which I did when I got the ticket 20 years ago. The cop that signed it off was disgusted that I was even issued the ticket.
I guess I better not talk about tuners in the modifications forum either since putting a tuner on is also against CA law.

Yes, I like Santa Rosa. Been here since 2000. Grew up in Novato. The last little outing in our 2002 Ex was a trip to Bodega for a Wine Maker's dinner at The Inn at the Tides for our anniversary last month. Expensive, but good. Stayed the night at the hotel. I need to get our 2016 out on Hwy 1 and finish breaking it in. I have been going through withdrawals since my Mustang has been on jack stands since June!

I hear ya...I have yet to put the Explorer through the paces and break her in "properly'. One of these days I will get a tuner for my F150 and maybe put a tune on this little beast as well.

We're going to Tahoe for New Years, so I have been trying to take it out on the backroads and vary the rpm as much as possible. I started to get on it a little on Sunday and it felt really good. It has a lot of torque at 3k. I was staying under 4k and 1/2 throttle and using the paddles to shift up and down to vary the rpm. I took it on a little loop that I always take the Stang on for a shakedown cruise after making changes and I thought it handled great and was a lot of fun. The road is not super smooth and the Ex felt great over it. I can't wait to see how it feels when I open it all the way up. A tune is imminent, but I want to put some miles on it first and get a stock baseline at Sonoma Raceway. The Wednesday night races don't start again until March. We'll see if I can wait that long to see what I can get out of it. They will have some weekend stuff out there before then.

Hello everyone! I am Rob and my wife and I just purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport with pretty much everything but park assist (an early Christmas gift for my wife). So far we are loving the SUV and I look forward to talking to you all about our vehicles. :burnout:

Here are a few pics of the vehicle which my wife has named Ladybug (since she LOVES ladybugs). I know pictures are a must...lol

IMG_3642_zps7svabzh4.jpg

IMG_3647_zpsonx4qbsr.jpg

IMG_3645_zpsne8upns4.jpg

I know I've seem that EX somewhere, looks like mine! I hope you enjoy your Sport like I have enjoyed mine. So far I have had NO problems with it. Mine came with the ugly amber fog lights and I swapped them out for LED bulbs. I also swapped out the puddle and license plate bulbs with LED. I don't think I will change the interior bulbs to LED as they will be to bright. We also have to have front license plates so I got some black stainless steal frames from Amazon and they look great and match the other blackout items on the Sport. Enjoy your new Sport!

I know I've seem that EX somewhere, looks like mine! I hope you enjoy your Sport like I have enjoyed mine. So far I have had NO problems with it. Mine came with the ugly amber fog lights and I swapped them out for LED bulbs. I also swapped out the puddle and license plate bulbs with LED. I don't think I will change the interior bulbs to LED as they will be to bright. We also have to have front license plates so I got some black stainless steal frames from Amazon and they look great and match the other blackout items on the Sport. Enjoy your new Sport!

Thanks....aren't the fog lights LED (I think mine said they were)? We had a taste of some really bad fog about a week ago and honestly those awesome bright LED headlights were a detriment! What would be cool is if they gave you the option and had a white LED and an amber LED in the fog light assembly! That way they can actually be useful. I am going to look into doing that very thing with it's own switch if it is possible.

Congratulations on your Sport!!

Congrats!

One thing with the previous Sport was, IMO, you really had to black out the blue oval on the grill. In looking at these pics, the blue oval seems to go fine with the new black grill, but that's JMO.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question wasn't answered im another related thread and considering this one has all 2016 Sport owners; I may get the answer I need.
Can someone confirm if the passenger footwell has ambient lighting?

Yes it does

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back