New shocks with double aal and shackles?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New shocks with double aal and shackles??

macker123

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV
I am doing the double aal and shackles in the rear for a lift of about 4" - 4.5". Do I need to replace my shocks with a lift of that height. I would prefer not to as they are new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes

yes. i needed to b/c the shock bottom out way to early!

Yes, definately.

Have you considered doing a SOA? That would give you about 5.5" and a much better ride IMO.

Yes, with a double AAL and Shackles, you will need new shocks. You could prolly setup a SOA so that you could use the shocks you have.

Robb

You dont have to get new shocks you can relocate where they mount on the axle. I mounted my shocks to the bottom of the old sway bar mounting bracket. though i no longer have my rear sway bar on my truck. also you would probably be better off going soa. soa will give you 5.5" of lift and alot more axle articulation.

Well right now I have a 3" lift in the front and shackles in the rear and I don't need new shocks.

How high can I go without needing new shocks?

a friend of mine went soa with his truck and was still able to use his stock shocks by mounting them to the old sway bar brackets. I have heard rumors of them breaking so you might want to buy some universal shock mounts and weld them onto the axle.

Back