New to explorers and need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to explorers and need help

steveomd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 f250
Hello everyone.
My name is steven, I'm 27, and live in Beaumont ,ca. A few months ago my father bought a 1969 Manx buggy and is going to be taking it to glamis. Let me rewind a bit, neither my father nor I are strangers to offroading its just been like 5 or more years since we have gone. So fast forward to now, I want to build a vehicle that meets 3 criteria
1). Seats 4 people
2) has moderate to high power output for driving in the sand (glamis and dessert)
3). Very very good suspension (like Cadillac smooth)
So naturally I thought explorer. Now to my questions

A). What year explorers are the rig of choice these day for my needs.
B). What explorer will give me the best bang for my buck and provide the best suspension option .
C). ANY OTHER ADVICE YOU HAVE FOR ME :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm leaning more to 4wd just because it will be useful I'm the sand. What do you think?

I was in your situation a few years ago (looking at build options). I went 4wd. I don't use it much but it is nice to have. First of all you need to consider budget, use (DD, toy, trailered or driven to desert), and ability to do your own work. That being said your choices are
1st gen or second gen
engine-
1st V6
2nd V6 or V8
suspension
1st beams
2nd a-arms
If 4wd beams are a lot cheaper to get travel out of you also don't have cv axles either, 2wd the difference isn't as bad but still cheaper for beams. Either way you normally lose some travel to keep 4WD. I lost an inch or so.
getting power out of the V8 is easier than the V6 but the v8 "4wd" is actually awd so you have to swap the transfer case or drive around in 4 hi (basically) all the time and no low range option. Other little notes is that the 2nd gens are more plentiful and have rear disk brakes. But this all depends on what you consider "Caddy plush" ride.

One thing I do to help power is I run 33s with 4:56 gears which has the Rs a tad high on the freeway, but I also run 31" paddles in the sand. The 31" with 4:56s make my sand setup pretty good. Sorry for the long reply but there is a lot you have to decide. If you want to hit the whoops and smash dunes you might be able to make a bad ass 2wd V8 and the money you save on the 4wd could go into more power and paddles. But with 4wd you don't have to bomb it if you don't want.

Good luck

I appreciate the detailed response. So here are some questions. Its my understanding that you get a better ride with ifa than a tts setup right? If thats the case can I get a second gen 95-01 with ifs and 4wd. I know you can get better travel out of a tts but hear the ride is better with ifs. So can I get a 95-01 4wd v6 and try it out and if push comes to shove swap the v6 for a v8 without swaping the transfer case??? As far a working on it myself I can do the suspension, but can't weld,build rear ends,etc. But I want to learn...

Ttb is a form of ifs. I have ttb. The transmissions are different for the 6 and 8. So no swap is a lot more than just a motor change. You can swap the transfer case pretty straight forward. Plus you have the original engine for smog. There are some lt kits for the a-arms but they are $$$ from what I priced. But I like my v8. That's why I have it.

I will mainly us it on glamis/ sand sand and more sand . it look like my best bet is to go v8 ttb 4wd. Do you agree????????

Yeah. But you have to make one. Haha. Full size. Broncos are bad either. Turn tighter, factory v8 and ttb plus top comes off. You can build it for not bad prices and a lot of stuff is bolt on. It's just wider.

Whatever you rock I suggest keep I low. 33s are plenty. Low and lean for dunin'

I've heard that the Lincoln Aviatior rides as well as the sedan.

so here is a question. realistically what is cheaper and easier to do.
1) buy a 91-94 TTB and try to swap in a bigger engine or….
2) buy a 95-01 A-Arm and try to get travel out of it…..

You first have to decide how much travel or what're truck needs to do. 2 gen would be easier because it's v8 and travel is bolt on but can be pricey. Motor swap brings new challenges like smog of a motor swap, harnesses etc. depending on budget and needs of the vehicle I would probably go the 2nd gen route and even if I had to lose travel for hp I would do that. But if you want pure bolt on travel, big hp and fairly cheap overall price I would consider a bronco. Broncos are the most bang for the buck, but it's a full size. My merc weighs the same as my buddies bronco after I built it. Mild fab work can pull 16" of travel with the bronco. Dixon bros makes a lt kit for the 2nd gen.

Sorry not to answer your questions but there is a lot to consider. If it is going to be full interior street truck it will be heavier. If it's a toy then you can lighten it which would take less hp. Also if you trailer it you can over gear to gain power. Do you want to do 60 thru the whoops no matter what or do you want a comfy get around car. A nice mid travel 4wd would cruise nice but it's not a trophy truck.

I use my Explorer on the sand. It's a 2nd Gen (1998) with the SOHC, ported and polished heads and Advanced cam timing. It makes plenty of torque, it has a soft ride and kills most other trucks on the sand, especially when climbing massive dunes. Just remember to drop the tyre pressure to at least 13 PSI to keep the trans cool. (you want to drive over the sand, not plow through it.)

Be sure you can hear the belt driven fan kick in and out as it should to keep the trans cool. Never convert to an electric fan, they never cut it on the sand and WILL let you down.

If you want to be the King of the sand then why not use the Air-conditioning condenser as a Transmission cooler!

The 2nd Gen Explorer can pull much bigger bogged down trucks out of the sand, just be sure to dig away the piled up sand first otherwise you will pull the front end off their truck.

Be sure to carry a long handle shovel. You don't want one of those fold up back breakers. I'm sure you already know to keep a snatch strap and shackles on hand.

If you do get stuck, don't spin the wheels. Dig the sand away first, All of it! then drop the tire pressure more and dig a ramp out of the hole you're in with your shovel, digging soft sand isn't hard and doesn't take long with a decent shovel.

Expect applause when showing up other truck on the dunes.

^^^^^
What do you run for suspension?
I've heard a basic coilover swap and deavers has a nice ride.

so here is a question. realistically what is cheaper and easier to do.
1) buy a 91-94 TTB and try to swap in a bigger engine or….
2) buy a 95-01 A-Arm and try to get travel out of it…..

I pm'd you. Feel free to text me or we can even talk about it. I researched every option and scenario for about a year. I'm probably not going to tell you what to do but I can give you the pros and cons of every option. I love my set up but I was lucky that my friend was able to make it. But some people say they don't like it. It is setup up to towed to the desert, not a lot of ground clearence, etc. like I said there is a lot of variables. I'm a little OCD so I have thought of them all. Haha

The standard torsion bars and leaf packs (I also carry a bit of weight in the form of tools, equipment... ect... with the rear seats folded down permanently.)

I found that the standard torsion bar setup was too soft for the sand so I had to crank them up a bit so the front end doesn't nose dive into the base of dunes when I'm approaching them at WOT.

Back