New to me 2018 Platinum after 179k on 2013 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2018 Platinum after 179k on 2013 Limited

John Jagosh

Reaction score
City, State
Tigard, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Well, I put 179k miles on a 2013 Limited. I picked it up in 2017 and drove the heck out of it. Needed a new Power Transfer Unit in that time, new tie rods and front suspension... and not much else. Had the good old "transmission not in park" error that I learned to ignore as well as an inverted back up camera. The final straw was the infamous leak down the rear seat belt combined with all kinds of "charging system error" readings. I vowed never again on an Explorer, but my wife has a 2016 Sport that we both love.... and there I was at the dealer again. I obviously drive a lot every year.

The car I wanted was already sold (I saw it on the lot being prepped) so we took a look at a Platinum that was way out of my budget... until they gave me $6200 for mine as a trade in. Considering the leaks, wanting to replace the water pump and multiple other needs at that mileage, I thought it was a good deal and made the trade.

Question 1 so I can second guess myself - pretty good deal on the trade in value? (I hate doing private party sales, so not an option for me)

Bigger Question - so what do I need to keep an eye on on the 2018 Platinum?

Thanks for your help and input over the years, this forum has saved me some money and heartache.

Well, you basically bought the same vehicle haha. As for trade in value, I guess that isn't bad with the high miles.. they will probably sell it for 10k. I would have squeezed for more. My 2013 sport is at 130k and I think the trade in on Edmunds is around 10k and private party is 15k. The national used car trade in value is higher than average right now. Same with private party sales.

Back