• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2018 Platinum issues

KDB

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Hello. I purchaesd a 2018 Platinum in May this year and am totally new to Fords. I have two issues with me ride. The passenger door's lower exterior panel rattles when you close the door or when you tap your fist on it. I cannot figure out how to remove it to see what is loose inside. Any advice?

Second issue is that the steering wheel heater gets so how I cannot hold onto the wheel. I get it warm and then turn it off. Is this normal or a defect? Seems crazy to get so hot.

Thanks in advance for any advice on either issue.

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I cannot answer your questions, but someone probably can. Try posting your question in the 2011-2019 sub forum.

Moved to proper subforum.

The steering wheel does get quite hot in my '18 Platinum as well. I just let it get warm and then switch it off.

The rattle "could" be the chrome strip on the black area of the door exterior. Either tape it down good with painter's tape or wedge a toothpick in it to be sure that's it. I bet it is.

Good luck

My steering wheel never gets to hot to handle, but that just might be me.

As for the door. Are you sure it is not something inside the door? If your up for it, remove the door card from the interior and check inside the door. Could be a clip that broke.

My steering wheel never gets to hot to handle, but that just might be me.

As for the door. Are you sure it is not something inside the door? If your up for it, remove the door card from the interior and check inside the door. Could be a clip that broke.
It does sound like it is inside the door. I onlu have to gently poud on the lower panel to hear the noise. I will try removing the inside panel and checking it out. Seems that is the only way to remove the exterior panel, correct?

Hello. I purchaesd a 2018 Platinum in May this year and am totally new to Fords. I have two issues with me ride. The passenger door's lower exterior panel rattles when you close the door or when you tap your fist on it. I cannot figure out how to remove it to see what is loose inside. Any advice?

Second issue is that the steering wheel heater gets so how I cannot hold onto the wheel. I get it warm and then turn it off. Is this normal or a defect? Seems crazy to get so hot.

Thanks in advance for any advice on either issue.

Ken
Welcome to the Forum Ken. :wave:
The steering wheel on the vehicles I've had with the feature sometimes gets hot in a spot or two but nothing that concerns me. I don't bother turning it off as that seems to defeat the purpose. In other words, I believe it's normal.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ken. :wave:
The steering wheel on the vehicles I've had with the feature sometimes gets hot in a spot or two but nothing that concerns me. I don't bother turning it off as that seems to defeat the purpose. In other words, I believe it's normal.

Peter
Thank you Peter. I'll be taking it in soon for the roof rail recall and an oil change. I'll ask the dealer what they think.

Back