New to towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to towing

I have a 2011 Explorer limited. I recently added a class iii hitch and 4/7 pin connection,along with a brake controller to pull a 7X12 Homsteader trailer to haul my trike. I am reading about oil coolers and upgraded radiators. Should I be adding these?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Explorer limited. I recently added a class iii hitch and 4/7 pin connection,along with a brake controller to pull a 7X12 Homsteader trailer to haul my trike. I am reading about oil coolers and upgraded radiators. Should I be adding these?

Thanks

I am doing the same stuff on my third gen I will give you my opinion

Trans cooler...yes. no question you need it.

Engine cooler...maybe. Personally I would pull your max load up some big hills and in the hottest temps you will pull it and see if you need an oil cooler or not. The engine cooling systems on most vehicles are quite overbuilt and I really don't think you will overdo it unless you live in death valley or something. You will want a trans cooler rated for 20,000-26,000 GVR . I know it sounds overkill but that is actually only one step up from the one trans cooler manufacturers recommend. Reason for upgrading beyond what they recommend is for hills and that it is hard to overcool a trans meaning that it is better to go a little bigger than smaller on the cooler. Also, the cooler the trans fluid is the cooler the engine coolant and therefore the engine and oil.

Thanks for your comments. Will look into doing this.

I was a little tired last night so let me add this. Place the Trans cooler in front of your ac condenser. This will keep the engine cooler and the Trans cooler
and only tax your ac a little more rather than putting more heat on your engine a well

Michael,
Does your vehicle already have the factory HD tow package?

Do you have a someone accurate weight estimate for the trailer & Trike?

Here is the 2011 Ford Towing Guide

Based on page 17, the tow package would have included:
1. Upgrade from 4-flat to 7-pin wiring (complete)
2. Class III hitch receiver (complete)
3. "Combo Cooler" - Not sure the specifics, but you should definitely install an auxiliary air-to-oil trans cooler inline with the standard bulb cooler that is in your radiator. I don't agree with oversizing this cooler unless you live in hot climate. In Maryland, when not towing, an oversized cooler would have your system taking too long to warm up (expecially in this crazy cold spell we have these days!).
4. Engine Oil Cooler - I agree to hold off on this. If you find you have a problem, get one installed (?).
5. Tire Mobility Kit - This may be a full sized spare (?), who knows. Just be sure your Explorer has a means of changing to an actual spare, not just a can of fix-a-flat.

NOTE: I see nothing about the factory tow package giving different axle ratios. Therefore, if you take care of at least the first 3 items (IMO), you can take advantage of the full tow rating, which according to page 24 is increased from 2000 to 5000.

NOTE ALSO: Page 24 says that you also need to use a WDH to get that 5000 lbs. IMO, if you can keep things under 3500 lbs loaded trailer, you can skip the WDH, but be sure you have those trailer brake working. But if over 3500 lbs, you should consider a light duty WDH kit. When I was towing a 3000 lb popup with a Chrysler minivan, I added a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, and a Reese 400 Single Bar WDH kit. It did a great job of leveling the rig, but most importantly, transferring weight back onto the front wheels for traction and stability.

Brakeman:

Many thanks. The trailer is 2,100 and the trike is about 1,200. I do not envision any need to go above 3,500. I also do see using it but a couple times a year. Just getting too old to put up with riding in the rain when going on trips. I had inquired about a cooler with a Ford dealer and he said if I am only using it a couple times a year, he did not feel a cooler was needed. This is why I am seeking input from others.

Brakeman:

Many thanks. The trailer is 2,100 and the trike is about 1,200. I do not envision any need to go above 3,500. I also do see using it but a couple times a year. Just getting too old to put up with riding in the rain when going on trips. I had inquired about a cooler with a Ford dealer and he said if I am only using it a couple times a year, he did not feel a cooler was needed. This is why I am seeking input from others.

Couple times a year you are fine.I mostly did mine because I knew that with the hitch I would be tempted to tow loads that could max out the hitch....I was right. I towed 7k pounds today...

For your needs I would add the hitch and drive, I highly doubt you would have any issues.

Yeah, for occasional towing under 3500 lbs (loaded trailer, plus anything in the truck beyond the driver):
-Get the hitch
-Skip the WDH kit
-I would get the trans cooler. Trans damage is done whenever you exceed certain temperatures. The effect will be premature trans failure to you in the few years, or to the next owner. If you care about the next guy, get 'er done. Unless you have a trans temp gage (you don't), you will never know if/when you are doing damage. They are not expensive to add. Just do it.
-Brake controller - You mentioned it in the first post. IMO, this is absolutely a must. The tow guide toward the end, implies recommending if over 1500 lbs trailer. You will be 2000 lbs beyond that point, and well beyond the design intent for the Explorer's braking system.

Yeah, for occasional towing under 3500 lbs (loaded trailer, plus anything in the truck beyond the driver):
-Get the hitch
-Skip the WDH kit
-I would get the trans cooler. Trans damage is done whenever you exceed certain temperatures. The effect will be premature trans failure to you in the few years, or to the next owner. If you care about the next guy, get 'er done. Unless you have a trans temp gage (you don't), you will never know if/when you are doing damage. They are not expensive to add. Just do it.
-Brake controller - You mentioned it in the first post. IMO, this is absolutely a must. The tow guide toward the end, implies recommending if over 1500 lbs trailer. You will be 2000 lbs beyond that point, and well beyond the design intent for the Explorer's braking system.

+1 on the brake controller that is super important.

Brake controller was put on when I added the hitch. Thanks for all your comments. Can the trans cooler be run via a switch to turn it on only when towing or does it have to be on whenever the vehicle is in motion.

Brake controller was put on when I added the hitch. Thanks for all your comments. Can the trans cooler be run via a switch to turn it on only when towing or does it have to be on whenever the vehicle is in motion.

Not really...but.

the transmission only lets about 10-15% of the trans fluid through the stock cooler when it is cold anyway so it can't really hurt your trans at all.

Unless you get one about 2-4x bigger than the stock vehicle with the tow packages like I did. Because of that, I cover it in the winter but again, even if I didn't most of the fluid is not going through it. It may just take a little longer for the trans to warm up.

There are some coolers that have a temperature-controlled bypass:
-Below a certain temperature, fluid flows thru a short tube, effectively bypassing the cooling fins, to allow the trans fluid to warm up quicker.
-Once the fluid hits a certain temp, fluid is allowed to run past the cooling fins.

I don't know any brands, or if these carry a significant cost hit.

There are some coolers that have a temperature-controlled bypass:
-Below a certain temperature, fluid flows thru a short tube, effectively bypassing the cooling fins, to allow the trans fluid to warm up quicker.
-Once the fluid hits a certain temp, fluid is allowed to run past the cooling fins.

I don't know any brands, or if these carry a significant cost hit.

Doesn't really matter... For our transmissions and almost all new transmissions in new vehicles they all do that from the factory anyway..

I have a 2011 XLT with the upgrade package which has the 20 inch rims and leather/nav so very close to your spec.

Real towing experience with out a WDH in my case. Again , I do not have a tow package. started with a 7pin , Brake controller with sway [cheap 80 $ voyager unit] and Class III hitch. I towed my popup which stated was 3800LBS GVWR from factory , mine had a few more options and my wife packed everything in that thing so I am close to 3800 lbs . We had the family , dog and all our stuff in the explorer.

I towed this setup for a while and never had any issues. I am not going to say you never notice it [again a WDH am told would have resolved the issue] but its fine. I usually shift to M in hills and slow off roading camp sites.I watched the temps as I did not to touch the plumbing [cooler] and do all the work to solve the heating problem that never really happened. This engine loves to rev, in M i let it go!.

I towed the same camper empty to NY with a dodge ram 1500 Hemi . I had to use the tow button a lot, it gave crappy mileage. On 2nd thought should have taken the explorer for the 400 mile trip.

again, mine is real world experience . The wife wanted a A/C unit and toddler a potty . so ended up trading with a buddy in NY for a bit smaller camper with ac and potty straight up no cash. so now i only tow a 2500 lbs camper and the enough stuff to go live in the woods for a month when we go camping for a weak....my wife likes to pack . The new setup i just pop in D as i do not even notice back there even in mountains. Best part is i got 17mpg hauling a 4000 lbs load.

satz

Back