new to xplorer performance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to xplorer performance

howdy y'all first off this is a great site(just found it) ...........but how hard do you think it would be to get my 91 explorer in to the 16's?

by the way i have a 91xls explorer 4x4 wit 3" body lift 2"spacer/shackle lift with 33's and i think 3.73 gears maybe 4.10 bought the lift off ebay and the wheels and tires from a local tire store, i havent done anything in performance yet,

what is a nice loud exhaust that adds power?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude
Your grasping at straws, Ck your state emissions rules about the cats.
You can do alot with some engine upgrades, just do not believe all the aftermarket manufacturers B.S.
If you were to get 20 H.P. with boltons, with your engine thats a huge percentile diff.
M is abosolutly correct about the MAF, it will compliment and finish off the program to a very small degree, is only so much you can do without getting into the engine.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ok guys thanks for your help

Mbrooks420, that "d4" you mentioned would indicate a LS rearend. The letter in a Ford axle code usually means a traction lock differential.

The 33" tall tires probably are slowing down that 91 Explorer by a second in the quarter mile.(The much larger rotating mass is much harder to accelerate). Change the gear ratio by a ratio of at least 33/29, more if acceleration is more important than gas mileage.

Test it with stock 29" tires to see how much the 33's are costing you. Good luck,
Don W

And for every 100 pounds of weight you pull out you gain .1 second in the 1/4, so don't carry unnecessary weight/people when you run your 16 :D

A non LS 3.73 must be super rare. Of all the Explorers, and Mounties I looked at none were 3.73 open.

i have 3.73 l/s how much do you guys think my exlporer wieghts i know it weighs 4000-4100lbs stock (according to msn) how much weight have i gained by adding 33's and steel wheels?

Hate to keep raining on your parade guy, but if you want real numbers, top off all your fluids, look in the yellow pages for public scales, get on down and get wieghed.
costs 3 bux in my area, that way you will have an exact number to work with, not a guess, is just my way of doing things because I am very ****

On a 4 door 4x4 i's say yor tipping the scall at at least 4,400. Stock.

msn says 4072lbs stock, i looked around and there arent anyplaces around my area to get my truck wieghed, where did u see 4,400lb?

Was that the "Claimed Dry Wieght"?

yeah

Why does it really matter anyways? There are many more factors than weight.

When's the last time you drove it dry? :) Those fluids, your stuff, and of course, you, all add up.

Factor in ballpark 8lbs per gallon for fluids, you as Mbrooks says, the beer you may contain and do not forget, your 33s have a huge amount of air volumn.
That air alone wgts alot, when the tires get hot, the air wgts more, so remember your wgt will fluctuate dependant on driving conditions:)

How do you know he doesn't fill his tires with nitrogen? ;)

And isn't rotational mass 4 times as detrimental as static mass? :eek: Plus all dirt, crud, bugs and tar, and inevitable fast food, and empty big slam bottles. :confused: Don't mind me. I haven't slept in 2 days. Tonight isn't looking good either. : pillowgrasp:

If I were a Mod,(which i will be one day when I can pony up the bucks:)).
I would end this thread, is going nowhere :confused:

how much horsepower and differece will a kkm intake and a 66mm bbk throttle body had?

It's different on every vehicle. I'd say 10 max, but the throttle response you get is definitely worth it. Mods work together. The better the engine breathes the more hp you'll get from using the right mods.

in my school there are tons of explorer(atleast 10)
and 5 or those owers agrues who has the fastest?
what do you guys think
1-96 5.0 2wd xlt 4dr w/ flowmaster duals
2-01 explorer sport 4.0 sohc 2wd w/ mac intake and and single magnaflow exhaust
3-94 xlt 2wd 4dr maunal 4.0 ohv w/ custom intake, 66mm bbk tb, superchip, flowmaster exhaust
4-98 xlt 4x4 4.0 sohc 4dr w/ performance chip
5-95 xlt 4x4 4.0 ohv w/ lowered, kkm intake

there is mine but mine aint fast at all

Back