• Register Today It's free!

new water pump

cimarrondb

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt 4x4
so i have decided to put in a water pump in my first gen.. I have searched the site on a write up on how to do this but have come up empty handed. I was wondering if anyone has done this on their X before, and how easy is it, and if you know of any wirte ups i could follow? thanks guys.

re: waterpump

try www.autozone.com they have a section on how to do it, just log in with your explorer first. It'll give you step by step.

cimarrondb said:
so i have decided to put in a water pump in my first gen.. I have searched the site on a write up on how to do this but have come up empty handed. I was wondering if anyone has done this on their X before, and how easy is it, and if you know of any wirte ups i could follow? thanks guys.

I did it a few months ago on my truck. The links posted above are pretty good and you can follow them or a Haynes or Chiltons and you'll be all right. Some tips for our 1st gen:

1) even if you drain all the coolant, there will still be some left...so make sure you put a catch container underneath, while you take off the old water pump.

2) I'd replace the hoses while I was at it. The old hoses will probably be brittle and hard to remove. You may have to use a wrench to convince the old hose to come off the pump.

3) Pretty easy other than that. Use gasket and sealant, and be sure to torque each bolt progressively and not all at once. That's very important.

It's even easier if you remove the radiator, but it's not necessary. You will have to remove the fan and fan clutch assembly, and you'll probably have to rent the fan clutch removal tool, unless you are lucky enough to have some rare long thin wrenches.

Back