New with a couple suggestions needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New with a couple suggestions needed.

Phade

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Hello, this is my first Explorer, and my 2nd Ford. I picked this up as my winter/general use vehicle.

1991 Sport 4x4 with 132k on it.

I need a little info, as the search function did not help out.

The tranny (ATX) is awesome, no problems there.

Engine does tick, it sounds like something up top, maybe lifters? Are there any known problem areas with this motor? (4.0)

It needs a new exhaust, and some other parts, as to be expected. Where do you recommend to go for the best prices? Any online stores, or just AZ, or Advanced?

How about any issues with other components that I should keep an eye on?

This site looks pretty informative, and thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.

The 4.0 OHV is a good strong motor, but I can not say the same about the tranny. Keep an eye on it and tank care of it to prolong a rebuild.

The ticking could be the valve train and with 132k that seems normal to have. Best thing is to have someone have a listen to tell the severity of the noise.

As for the exhaust, you're going to get the same where ever you go. I have always gone to Midas for previous vehicles, but there are many ppl who do exhausts. A smaller shop may give a better price, but it will be close to the big chain muffler shops.

Good luck.

You can get a cat-back Flowmaster exhaust system from Dead Link Removed for about $170. Worth the money in my book! I had one on my '92 and it was definitely worth installing.

If you have the auto 4x4 hubs, they have been known to go bad. If you start hearing a ratcheting sound out of the front, it's probably time to buy a set of manual hubs.

Watch for fuel seepeage from the top of the fuel tank...it could be your steel fuel line(s) itno the fuel pump about to pop....

It happened to me on vacation this past september.

$450 in tows and $450 in repairs.

And, as you have read, the tranny -- mine died at 70k miles on vacation 3 years ago.....

Knock wood the motor is strong still.....

Seems like I am always spending $200 per month for some repair or part, of course mine has 100k now and things are starting to show their age....

This is a GREAT site and has TONS of info...just search for topics and you shall reep rewards....

Originally posted by Phade
Hello, this is my first Explorer, and my 2nd Ford. I picked this up as my winter/general use vehicle.

1991 Sport 4x4 with 132k on it.

I need a little info, as the search function did not help out.

The tranny (ATX) is awesome, no problems there.

Engine does tick, it sounds like something up top, maybe lifters? Are there any known problem areas with this motor? (4.0)

It needs a new exhaust, and some other parts, as to be expected. Where do you recommend to go for the best prices? Any online stores, or just AZ, or Advanced?

How about any issues with other components that I should keep an eye on?

This site looks pretty informative, and thanks for any advice.

JDraper is correct, the Flowmaster is high performance Cat back muffler system (Part # FLO-17246). The entire kit arrives in a single box and is easy to install. The hardest part of the install (as always) is removing the old rusted crap from your X.

If you are not up to doing the work yourself then call a local muffer shop (not a chain) and have them order this system for you (most will). Just make sure it is the cat back system above which includes the muffler and pipes; Otherwise they may just order the Flowmaster muffer and put on a set of their own cheaper quality pipes (to save themselves some $$)

chain versus small place

I echo the "not a chain" sentiment...

The stainless steel muffle for my Dakota was covered under lifetiome warranty...I walked into Meineke with my replacemen tand said "how much to install" and they wanted Over $100!!!! (the old one iwas welded in by THEM when it was installed)...

Ended up at a small shop and paid $30! If you are in the Pgh area, I can recommend them!

DZ

Originally posted by DEROCHA
JDraper is correct, the Flowmaster is high performance Cat back muffler system (Part # FLO-17246). The entire kit arrives in a single box and is easy to install. The hardest part of the install (as always) is removing the old rusted crap from your X.

If you are not up to doing the work yourself then call a local muffer shop (not a chain) and have them order this system for you (most will). Just make sure it is the cat back system above which includes the muffler and pipes; Otherwise they may just order the Flowmaster muffer and put on a set of their own cheaper quality pipes (to save themselves some $$)

Thanks for the helpful info. I appreciate it.

Welcome Phade!! We are only 40 mins appart. If ya want help installing the exhaust , let me know. I will also echo the Flowmaster exhaust. Love mine.

Im looking now at the exhausts, then Im going to get a quote from a couple small shops here for them to run pipes, with flowmaster.

Back