New Wrangler Rubicon? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Wrangler Rubicon?

Guys n Gals,

Being a X-j##p owner myself, the Rubicon is bad @$$!!! But here is the problem. If you do ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING as far as lift mods, body lift, or even just a new set of bigger tires the warrantee is void, no ifs, ands, or buts. I don't care what false promises a salesman may make to you trying to sell one, but as far as Jeep is concerned, any mods like tires, etc... They are voiding the warrantee. Now if the dealer opts to pay for warantee work it's up to them. So this is my take on it:

It's cheaper to buy a Rubicon then it is to make one.

GREAT rig, but don't spend the money on it just yet if you plan on running bigger tires and doing some rockcrawling. This thing will hold its own offroad just stock, but as we all know, tires help clearance, and unless you can stuff some 33s or 35s on them, and just swap them out when you take it in for work, it's going to be a slight problem for those worried about warantee.

All in all, IMHO, I'm going to wait a few years and buy a slightly used one that hadn't seen too many trails. There are a lot of people out there with $$$ that are buying this thing just because it is so nice, but have no plans on taking it on any hardcore trails. The easy way to figuer it out when I go to buy one is see how many rock marks are on the undercarrage, cause we all know with those size tires there's going to be a lot of Rubicon undercarrage on the rocks of some of these trails. Until then I expect to build up Xplodor.

Who knows, I may eventually do a Coilover SAS and never look back at j##p again. These things can carry soooo much more gear!!! Who needs a tent on over night runs when we can have a full size air matress in the back of our X!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UMMMM wasn't there a thread on here talking about warranties some time ago saying that as long as the mod did not CAUSE the problem the warrenty has to be accepted by law or something like that?
Like bigger tires and if the alternator or tranny goes out thay can't say no bc the larger tires didn't cause the malfunction but rotors and stuff could be voided?
Someone help me out and let me know the right info.

I hear J##P though is being strick with there 7 yr warrantee. Oh, BTW, if you put larger tires on, they can be **** and void a tranny warrantee since they do kinda link together in the long run.

the bigger tires made me get into harder terrain thus breaking the axle. darn.

yeah yeah I am only asking what it speciffically addresses, it may be that loop hole of put a bumper sticker on that let water stay that helped rust the bumper that fell off and hit the diff which broke away messing up the tranny and causing the car to blow a gasket.
If you do one of these than ther could be the loop hole but what about what i was asking, what does the law say?
I just want to know, like K&N filter doesn't void the warrenty or so they claim, etc etc any company can tell you no but if you have some legal ground then they might partially do the job or completely. I mean come on they know what they built the Rubicon for and you don't need lockers for just a spring rain, snow, or ocasional drive on a gravel road.

Right that's why they built the Rubicon, BUT by limiting the tire size and modifications, people are less likely to go on those harder trails where you are more prone to breakage. My take on it, is don't go Wheeling unless you are prepaired to break something and fix it.

BTW, dealerships are now batteling the K&N thing. It's been proven that K & N filters alow more Silica content that is in the air to pass though (something like 50,000 parts per million vs normal filters at 500) which leads to premature engine falure. Now since we're talking about law:

If you have engine falure, and you have a K&N filter on, the manufacturer will not cover it under warrantee. If it goes to court, then the Manufacturer will win since GM just won their case and it has now set presidence. How do I know all this? My mechanic "Gene's Automotive" in Anaheim, CA did a complete study on it.
I ran K & N type filters on my Mustang for 3 years, and I raced it and ran NOS for those 3 years as well. That motor is as strong as the day I broke it in, BUT I ran synthetic in it and changed the oil ever 3K miles or less. I have not put a K&N filter in the Xplodor for the reasons listed above. This is a more complex and expensive motor and I'm not risking it, nor plan on voiding the extended warantee I purchased for $1290.00. I do however replace my stock OEM Replacement air filter every 6 months or so, unless I do a major offroad trip. They run about $11 to 15.

FYI, a new K & N out of the box is safe to use, but when you clean it, that's when the fibers seperate and allow more Silica to pass through. It would be find to use K&N filters, but just not reuse then, but that would get EXPENSIVE esppecially if you go through them as fast as I do.

Xplodor- silica? there is silica in concentration in our air? not that i dont believe you, but this engine destroying silica is ok for us to breathe? please elaborate, as this is the first i have heard of K&N allowing silica to destroy an engine...

Yup, this is the same silica content that we breath. It's all true. I will get more info from my mechanic and do a post if anyone is interested.

Like I said I don't really know, just what others on this board have said about aftermarket stuff. I currently have a 94 so I don't care but others mod their new ex. I was just curious what rules apply. Besides if you are looking to do some major mods, you probably can handle fixing it yourself.
Are J**Ps that hard to work on? I mean they look basically the same as the old ones with some new features. Like is the new one as hard to mess with as the new cars (where just about everything is computerized, with anti tamper torqs and normal parts are hidden from view etc) or knowing that lots of jeeps get modded not too bad to work on?

Oh they are easy. A lot more easy then my 2nd Gen X I'll tell you that much. That's why I think if a person that is using this thing for offroading is going to buy it, then they have the money to fix it and not worry about the warrantee if they want to lift it.

Back