• Register Today It's free!

Newb questions

Strahan

Reaction score
City, State
Dallastown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Howdy. I have a 96 XLT, it has the little dial switch on the dash to choose between 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD Lo. Is this shift-on-the-fly 4WD or should I be stopped to switch to 4 auto? Also what does "auto" mean.. does it mean I'm in 2wd till it detects slippage then it hits 4wd? Thanks. I didn't get a manual with my truck and I'm used to old trucks where it's stop-shift, get out and lock hubs kinda 4wd heh.

Oh yea, another ?. The dealer told me in my manual is the procedure to disable the auto door locking when I start driving. How do I do that?

Thanks, sorry for the newb questions hehe.

yea you can shift into 4auto on the fly, but 4low you have to be stoped and in neutral....also you are correct on what 4auto is, 2wd until it detects slippage then it starts sending power up front......and i have no idea about the door locks, but i am sure someone will be in here to tell you

Thanks alot guys. Is there a list somewhere of any other features that can be programmed, or is that pretty much it? I used to have a BMW, that thing had like three pages worth of crap you can play with heh. THanks again!

Back