• Register Today It's free!

Newbie needs lift finding help

YettiCrush

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hey guys. For the last few weeks I have been searching for a body lift kit for my explorer and have been unsuccessfull. I stumbled across these forums and thought I would get some advice from people with experience.

My Explorer is a 1995 4-door 2-wheel drive 4.0L 6cyl XLT. The trouble is finding a body kit that can get it up 4" to get 33's to fit. I am almost certain that they do not have a kit available for my year. Is this true? Is there a place that would make a body lift kit for my particular year? Also, if not, is it possible to fabricate one customly that can fit? One final question, what would you reccomend me doing to get that 4" of lift and how much would it be approximately?

Some info about what I'm looking for. I do not offroad or intend to in the near future in this vehicle. I'm just kinda tired of it looking plain and like a grocery-getter vehicle. That is why I originally chose a body lift.

I know this is probably a topic that has long since died or been discussed, and possibly almost idiotic of me asking but I'm a huge noob with lifts and suspension modifications. Any advice, experiences, or links would and will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

Dave W. -Yetti

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would help...

It would help to state that the tire size I'm trying to fit are 33x11.5. Not much flex is gonna be needed, so the more road-cruising-oriented is better.

Dave W. -Yetti

For 33x12.50s on a 2wd, I'd go a different route:

TT and 3" lift spindles in front, SOA in the rear.

Thanks a ton! ...that will be fine for a 95 (the "odd" year)? About how much would that run me?

Dave W. -Yetti

Probably about $650 if you do most of the work yourself, plus alignment.

Lots of info on here, have you tried the search feature?

Torsion Twist is free... Just turn two bolts in, the SOA for the rear should run you $100-120 (this is if you install it yourself), I'm not sure how much lift spindles run though...

Also search the for sale forum for old threads and see if someone is selling some spindles... You might be able to get a decent deal on some used ones...

If it were me, i'd go with a 3" PA body lift, warrior shackles and a torsion twist. Thats the cheapest lift to fit 33's. It would run you about $170 tops. You will have to do a little trimming though, but nothing to serious.

found it

Well, I found the search feature you guys are talking about and I'm getting lots of info...it's just a little confusing trying to figure out what SOA is or other such acronyms as a noob. Also, the PA 3" body lift exists for the '95 2-wd XLT?

If I got the 3" PA body lift, warrior shackles and a torsion twist...what would instalation cost me? I have lots of tools and a garage but I judt don't have the experience...yet.

Would I be doing any less shaving going with the TT and 3" lift spindles in front, and SOA in the rear.

Would there be much of a differance in total lift height? Smaller the better without rubbing for me.

Dave W. -Yetti

Same lift height, cheaper lift with body lift, tt and shackles, probalby same amount of trimming, but again very minor.

SOA: spring over axle swap.

Where can I purchase or find the 3" PA body lift for a '95 2-wd XLT? Also, what does PA stand for?

Dave W. -Yetti

Found PA...can't find a 3" body lift kit for a '95 though...anyone have a link to a 3" PA body lift that will work on my X?

Well, I think I'll be going along with getting the 3" body lift along with a 4-crank TT and warrior shackles. I *think* 4 cranks should get me to about 1 1/4" of lift which is same as the warrior shackles I'm looking at, then 3" to bring my total lift to 4.25".

Having ordered all of these, how much should I expect to pay on labor and will there be any other things such as extending my gas tank line to the filter?

Thanks alot for all your help!

Dave W. -Yetti

You should be able to do all the work with some simple tools and a bit of help. Plus there are many members around GA to help.

As far as the BL and other stuff, there are some FAQs and threads on this site to help.

Alec, I read in another post you commented on about going with a little less lift in concern to doing a 2" TT w/ 3" front spindles and SOA in the rear and instead lowering the amount of lift and getting fiberglass fenders.

I'm getting ready to do the TT myself and order the spindles and SOA just becasue I really don't wanna mess with my bumper bracket. If I did get fiberglass fenders what would you suggest for my lift? Also, I was looking at your gallery and noticed your explorer with the white fenders...would those work and where did you pick them up becasue I really like thier shape alot?

(I'll be getting a paint job right after I finish my lift and get it alligned)

Dave W. -Yetti

Those are from Perry's Fab and Fiber... They are a sponsor on the board here... Just watch the banners at the top, if you just bouce around to a few differen't pages on the board you should hit their banner w/in 5 or 6 clicks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had 3" of TT in front with the fenders ( www.perrysfabnfiber.com ) and 4.5" in rear with custom leaf springs. This setup isn't for everyone, but it worked great for me!

Back