• Register Today It's free!

Newbie on orderign Explorer

hwydave

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 XLT, 1999 XL (RIP)
The old ’99 Explorer got declared totaled two weeks ago in the Blizzard of 2011 and so I am looking into the 2011 Explorer. As much as I like all the technology on the XLT, I feel those are more things that will break in the future that I can’t just fix it easily. Since the mechanical is almost identical among the three trim levels (base, XLT, and Limited), I am happy with the set up of the base Explorer but will like to have leather seats and gray exterior color. After check out several dealerships’ inventory online and dealer visitation, I realized that the inventory is low and the selection is bad and ordering could be the way to go. This is the first time I order a car and so I got some questions:

1. Do you get to pick the specific option (e.g. leather seats) or you have to pick the whole package (e.g. 202A and have to get a XLT instead of Base Explorer)?
2. Can you still haggle over the price? I realize that dealer is not under the pressure of having a car in the lot but the economy is not quite what it used to be and most people are still holding off on buying cars.
3. Anyone got bad experience with their delivered car? E.g. damaged, missing agreed upon options, etc.

Thanks for the help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The old ’99 Explorer got declared totaled two weeks ago in the Blizzard of 2011 and so I am looking into the 2011 Explorer. As much as I like all the technology on the XLT, I feel those are more things that will break in the future that I can’t just fix it easily. Since the mechanical is almost identical among the three trim levels (base, XLT, and Limited), I am happy with the set up of the base Explorer but will like to have leather seats and gray exterior color. After check out several dealerships’ inventory online and dealer visitation, I realized that the inventory is low and the selection is bad and ordering could be the way to go. This is the first time I order a car and so I got some questions:

1. Do you get to pick the specific option (e.g. leather seats) or you have to pick the whole package (e.g. 202A and have to get a XLT instead of Base Explorer)?
2. Can you still haggle over the price? I realize that dealer is not under the pressure of having a car in the lot but the economy is not quite what it used to be and most people are still holding off on buying cars.
3. Anyone got bad experience with their delivered car? E.g. damaged, missing agreed upon options, etc.

Thanks for the help!!

1. No you can't just get leather seats you have to get the 202a package to get the leather seats. Sucks but if you compare to an Acadia you have to spend about 39 grand before you can get leather..

2. Yes, and you better haggle over the price. www.truecar.com is a good place to start as to what you should expect to be getting in terms of prices and what you can haggle to. Order a brochure in the mail of the explorer as well as some of the people who are getting brochures are also getting a coupon for $750.

3. Mines not in yet. So can't answer this.

You need to go to the Ford Explorer website and do your research. Some options are stand alone (like the moonroof) and other options only come as part of a package. There are also some options you can get stand alone, but you have to forgo the whole package it comes in (and thereby losing access to some of the other, package only, options). Its a matter of figuring out what you really want (and are willing to pay for) and what you can live without.

you can ask that the dealer install the leather seats. i was at a local dealer this past weekend, and they didn't have all the options i was looking for since inventory is low, but the dealer did offer to add leather interior to an explorer they had on the lot that had cloth interior w/o having to purchase the "comfort" package.

Thanks, RLWSNOOK, for the info. Can you, and I hope you don't mind, tell me what percentage off you haggled off from the MSRP? I realized different dealership plays the game differently, but I just want to get an idea how much I should try to push.

I was hoping that I don't have to get 202A option package to get the leather seat. It is so annoying that I have to jump through so many hoops to get the car the way I want it. :-(

Thanks, RLWSNOOK, for the info. Can you, and I hope you don't mind, tell me what percentage off you haggled off from the MSRP? I realized different dealership plays the game differently, but I just want to get an idea how much I should try to push.

I got it for invoice - incentives. My incentives were 1000 (which everyone gets), 500 for loyalty, and 750 coupon.

So, what was originally like 35,910 (with options) came down to be like $32,x.. with everything included...

You can also go to Costco's car buying program. Costco and Ford (and other manufacturers) had already predetermined what kind of markup over invoice they are willing to sell for. Do not confuse this for over MSRP. I ordered a 92 Explorer thru PriceClub (pre Costco) and paid $500.00 over invoice. Mind you I ordered in Aug 91 right when the 92 production was started and the demand was very high for Explorers when the SUV craze started. At that time in my area the going price was $700.00 over invoice elsewhere. Also when you order/buy thru Costco program, you will be directed to the fleet sales department. They are the people where you would ask if certain options can be deleted from packages. Also realize when ordering you will be asked for a non-refundable deposit.

Low inventory will create the supply and demand situation and will play into the pricing. Ask them to look at their list of vehicles that has be allocated to them that have been built or will be built. You can pre-buy these at times. But the main thing to do is do all of your homework regarding the model lines, the options and packages. Be open to color choices if you want to buy from their allocation. Otherwise, order one.

If you're not a Costco member look at AAA buying program. Membership does have its benefits. Don't forget about online companies such as Cars Direct, Autobytel etc. I've done the Costco route twice and known two friends that did the CarsDirect.com route. All were very positive outcomes.

Base with leather

I'm pretty sure you can't get a base model with leather from the factory. 202A is an XLT option only. You should be able to have your dealer swap in leather seats, they will have a local outfit car upholstery shop they deal with. You can even get heated seats too.

Back